* Ada for Netbeans
@ 2008-10-05 13:11 raster
From: raster @ 2008-10-05 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ciao to all,

I have started (from 6 weeks about) to develop a Netbeans plug-in for
support the Ada language.

In this post the technical details http://forums.netbeans.org/topic1559.html.

ciao
Andrea Lucarelli

* Re: Ada for Netbeans
       [not found] <7300f9f2-1993-4553-afd5-c6b4ad46fb96@d45g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>
@ 2008-10-05 18:55 ` Peter C. Chapin
From: Peter C. Chapin @ 2008-10-05 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

raster wrote:

> I have started (from 6 weeks about) to develop a Netbeans plug-in for
> support the Ada language.
>
> In this post the technical details http://forums.netbeans.org/topic1559.html.

I think this is great. I use NetBeans for my Java work and I'd love to
have Ada support in it.

I notice in your post on the NetBeans forum that you are looking at the
possibility of integrating AdaDoc. Be aware that I've essentially taken
over the maintenance and development of AdaDoc. If the system has bugs
or limitations that get in the way of what you want to do, let me know
and I may be able to do something about it.

Peter

* Re: Ada for Netbeans
@ 2008-10-06  9:34 ` xavier grave
From: xavier grave @ 2008-10-06  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raster

* Re: Ada for Netbeans
@ 2008-10-06 20:22   ` raster
From: raster @ 2008-10-06 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Oct 5, 8:55 pm, "Peter C. Chapin" <pcc482...@gmail.com> wrote:
> raster wrote:
> > I have started (from 6 weeks about) to develop a Netbeans plug-in for
> > support the Ada language.
>
> > In this post the technical detailshttp://forums.netbeans.org/topic1559.html.
>
> I think this is great. I use NetBeans for my Java work and I'd love to
> have Ada support in it.
>
> ... I may be able to do something about it.
>
> Peter

Hello Peter,

Thank you for your interest.
AdaDoc I tried about 3 weeks ago for a few days and I thought it
interesting. Now I do not have time to continue to study it.
Now I'm developing Ada Editor, Ada Platform and Ada Project modules.
The syntax highlighting and semantic analyser now is complete.
The creation of a Ada project that use a GNAT platform is almost
complete.
Just begin to set the ada doc module, ask if you want to give me
support in the development of the module.

ciao
andrea

* Re: Ada for Netbeans
@ 2008-10-06 20:33   ` raster
From: raster @ 2008-10-06 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Thanks for this great news !
> If you need any beta tester, just ask :)

than nothing
I thank you for your availability.
I inform you when will be ready a first version.
ciao
andrea

* Re: Ada for Netbeans
@ 2008-10-07  1:45     ` Peter C. Chapin
From: Peter C. Chapin @ 2008-10-07  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

raster wrote:

> Just begin to set the ada doc module, ask if you want to give me
> support in the development of the module.

What sort of support did you have in mind. Unfortunately my time is very
tight so my contributions tend to be slow.

Peter

* Re: Ada for Netbeans
@ 2008-10-08  9:52       ` raster
From: raster @ 2008-10-08  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Oct 7, 3:45 am, "Peter C. Chapin" <pcc482...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What sort of support did you have in mind. Unfortunately my time is very
> tight so my contributions tend to be slow.

It's not a problem.
Also the definition of the software requirements or the testing for me
can be an important help.

ciao
andrea

* Ada for Netbeans
@ 2008-12-28 16:13 raster
From: raster @ 2008-12-28 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

the first version (very alpha release) of Ada for Netbeans is present
to this link http://plugins.netbeans.org/PluginPortal/faces/PluginDetailPage.jsp?pluginid=13977.

A lot of functionalities are not available or only draft, see
http://wiki.netbeans.org/Ada for more details on the features.

Thanx for your help,
Andrea

* Re: Ada for Netbeans
@ 2008-12-30  8:37 ` Jérôme
From: Jérôme @ 2008-12-30  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 28 déc, 17:13, raster <andrea.lucare...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> the first version (very alpha release) of Ada for Netbeans is present
> to this linkhttp://plugins.netbeans.org/PluginPortal/faces/PluginDetailPage.jsp?p....
>
> A lot of functionalities are not available or only draft, seehttp://wiki.netbeans.org/Adafor more details on the features.
>
> Thanx for your help,
> Andrea

Hi Andrea

Is there any preferred way to send you our feedbacks (direct mail ?,
comp.lang.ada ?, Netbeans forum ? ...) ?

Regards.

* Re: Ada for Netbeans
@ 2008-12-30  9:12   ` raster
From: raster @ 2008-12-30  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Dec 30, 9:37 am, Jérôme <j.hag...@cadwin.com> wrote:
> On 28 déc, 17:13, raster <andrea.lucare...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
>
> > the first version (very alpha release) of Ada for Netbeans is present
> > to this linkhttp://plugins.netbeans.org/PluginPortal/faces/PluginDetailPage.jsp?p....
>
> > A lot of functionalities are not available or only draft, seehttp://wiki.netbeans.org/Adaformore details on the features.
>
> > Thanx for your help,
> > Andrea
>
> Hi Andrea
>
> Is there any preferred way to send you our feedbacks (direct mail ?,
> comp.lang.ada ?, Netbeans forum ? ...) ?
>
> Regards.

In this post for now it's OK...
Thanks
Andrea

* Re: Ada for Netbeans
@ 2008-12-30  9:57 ` xavier grave
From: xavier grave @ 2008-12-30  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: Ada for Netbeans
@ 2008-12-30 10:22   ` raster
From: raster @ 2008-12-30 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Dec 30, 10:57 am, xavier grave <xavier.gr...@ipno.in2p3.fr> wrote:

Go in Tools->Ada Platform, press New button and chose the root folder
of GNAT installation.
Ciao
Andrea

* Re: Ada for Netbeans
@ 2008-12-30 11:31     ` xavier grave
From: xavier grave @ 2008-12-30 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: Ada for Netbeans
@ 2008-12-30 13:52       ` raster
From: raster @ 2008-12-30 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Dec 30, 12:31 pm, xavier grave <xavier.gr...@ipno.in2p3.fr> wrote:

Thanx for your information, but unfortunately I tested Ada for
Netbeans only windows systems.
I'll try to understand where is the problem and as soon as possible
I'll install a version of linux on my laptap.
Ciao and thanx again.
Andrea

* Re: Ada for Netbeans
@ 2008-12-30 14:55         ` Steve D
From: Steve D @ 2008-12-30 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

[snip]
> I'm running a Debain sid i386.
> Hope it will help.
> Sorry to be so dumb with netbeans, I'm used to emacs + ada-mode :)
>
> xavier
[snip]

Thanx for your information, but unfortunately I tested Ada for
Netbeans only windows systems.
I'll try to understand where is the problem and as soon as possible
I'll install a version of linux on my laptap.
Ciao and thanx again.
Andrea

FYI: I have had really good luck running Linux in Sun's VirtualBox on
Windows.  It's a free download.

Regards,
Steve

(Sorry about the improper quoting... my posting tool isn't working correctly
right now)

* Re: Ada for Netbeans
@ 2008-12-30 17:00     ` Jérôme
From: Jérôme @ 2008-12-30 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 30 déc, 10:12, raster <andrea.lucare...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In this post for now it's OK...
> Thanks
> Andrea

OK. Here are my first comments.

I had the same problem : Auto Detect was not working.

* Re: Ada for Netbeans
@ 2008-12-30 17:06       ` Jérôme
From: Jérôme @ 2008-12-30 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 30 déc, 18:00, Jérôme <j.hag...@cadwin.com> wrote:
> On 30 déc, 10:12, raster <andrea.lucare...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > In this post for now it's OK...
> > Thanks
> > Andrea
>
> OK. Here are my first comments.
>
> I had the same problem : Auto Detect was not working.

Sorry ... I post it too rapidly ...

I meant :
I had the same "Auto detect" Problem - It is suppose to look for
gnatmake.exe files, right ?
So I had the GNAT GPL root folder, and was able to create a first Ada
for Netbeans project.

If I understand correctly, it creates a gpr file based on the Netbean
project properties, right ?
No chance to use an already existing gpr file ?

The editor detects incorrect syntax error, particulary with Character
and Strings like the following ones :
package test_ada_for_netbeans is

    A_character : constant character := '"';
    Another_character : constant Character := '''';

    A_String    : constant String := """";

end test_ada_for_netbeans;

That s all for the moment.

Regards.

* Re: Ada for Netbeans
@ 2008-12-30 19:31         ` raster
From: raster @ 2008-12-30 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I had the same "Auto detect" Problem - It is suppose to look for
> gnatmake.exe files, right ?
No, I'm look gnat file (with or without .exe if the S.O. is not
windows) but I don't understand because not work.
Which S.O. and which version do you use?
Which GNAT distribution and which version do you s

> If I understand correctly, it creates a gpr file based on the Netbean
> project properties, right ?
No, the project is an ant based project and the gpr file is created at
runtime when build/clean command are executed.

> No chance to use an already existing gpr file ?
In the future I'll create the import from gpr file.

> The editor detects incorrect syntax error, particulary with Character
> and Strings like the following ones :
> package test_ada_for_netbeans is
>
>     A_character : constant character := '"';
>     Another_character : constant Character := '''';
>
>     A_String    : constant String := """";
>
> end test_ada_for_netbeans;

For this problem I am already to the work.

I thank all for precious comments.

Ciao,
Anndrea

* Re: Ada for Netbeans
@ 2008-12-30 19:58         ` xavier grave
From: xavier grave @ 2008-12-30 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: Ada for Netbeans
@ 2008-12-30 20:19     ` Michael Bode
From: Michael Bode @ 2008-12-30 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

raster <andrea.lucarelli@gmail.com> writes:

> Go in Tools->Ada Platform, press New button and chose the root folder
> of GNAT installation.

What do you mean by 'root folder of gnat'? In Debian you have the
binaries (gnat, gnatmake, gnatprep,...) in /usr/bin, the runtime
library source is in /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.3, the dlls in
/usr/lib. If you need to call gnat, you can simply call 'gnat', because it
is in the path.

* Re: Ada for Netbeans
@ 2008-12-30 20:36       ` raster
From: raster @ 2008-12-30 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 30 Dic, 21:19, Michael Bode <m.g.b...@web.de> wrote:

> What do you mean by 'root folder of gnat'?
You are right. This sentence is valid only for windows users. I have
executed some tests on only windows. Hardly possible I will install
linux on my pc.

> In Debian you have the
> binaries (gnat, gnatmake, gnatprep,...) in /usr/bin, the runtime
> library source is in /usr/lib/gcc/i486-linux-gnu/4.3, the dlls in
> /usr/lib. If you need to call gnat, you can simply call 'gnat', because it
> is in the path.
Yes I know, in fact with the function Auto Detect I look for gnat in
the /usr/bin folder, but it seems that It doesn't work.

I believe that I will install debian as soon as possible ;)

Ciao and thanx again
Andrea

* Re: Ada for Netbeans
@ 2009-01-05 16:00         ` raster
From: raster @ 2009-01-05 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 30 Dic 2008, 18:06, Jérôme <j.hag...@cadwin.com> wrote:
> On 30 déc, 18:00, Jérôme <j.hag...@cadwin.com> wrote:
> I meant :
> I had the same "Auto detect" Problem - It is suppose to look for
> gnatmake.exe files, right ?
> So I had the GNAT GPL root folder, and was able to create a first Ada
> for Netbeans project.
>
> If I understand correctly, it creates a gpr file based on the Netbean
> project properties, right ?
> No chance to use an already existing gpr file ?
>
> The editor detects incorrect syntax error, particulary with Character
> and Strings like the following ones :
> package test_ada_for_netbeans is
>
>     A_character : constant character := '"';
>     Another_character : constant Character := '''';
>
>     A_String    : constant String := """";
>
> end test_ada_for_netbeans;
>
> That s all for the moment.
>
> Regards.

I solved any problems with 0.1.6 version (http://plugins.netbeans.org/
PluginPortal/faces/PluginDetailPage.jsp?pluginid=13977):
1. Fix string and char literal recognition.
2. Fix new ada platform and autodetect in linux system.
3. Fix gpr template file for linux systems.
4. Fix project actions for linux systems.

This first version of ada for netbeans I have released for  the
communities to have some necessary feedbacks to the pursuance of the
project available, to understand if the road that I have undertaken is
correct.

Thanks all for your collaboration.
Andrea

* Re: Ada for Netbeans
@ 2009-01-05 19:50           ` xavier grave
From: xavier grave @ 2009-01-05 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: Ada for Netbeans
@ 2009-02-05 12:56           ` RasikaSrinivasan
From: RasikaSrinivasan @ 2009-02-05 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Dec 30 2008, 9:55 am, "Steve D" <nospam_steve...@comcast.net>
wrote:
> [snip]> I'm running a Debain sid i386.
> > Hope it will help.
> > Sorry to be so dumb with netbeans, I'm used to emacs + ada-mode :)
>
> > xavier
>
> [snip]
>
> Thanx for your information, but unfortunately I tested Ada for
> Netbeans only windows systems.
> I'll try to understand where is the problem and as soon as possible
Slightly OT - please forgive me.

Sun's VirtualBox - is this like VMWARE? which distro of Linux have you
run successfully? In particular with gnat? Hypothetically, could one
have the same dir structure and build on both platforms?

thanks for any info,

srini

> I'll install a version of linux on my laptap.
> Ciao and thanx again.
> Andrea
>
> FYI: I have had really good luck running Linux in Sun's VirtualBox on
> Windows.  It's a free download.
>
> Regards,
> Steve
>
> (Sorry about the improper quoting... my posting tool isn't working correctly
> right now)
>
> ** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

* Re: Ada for Netbeans
@ 2009-02-06  2:42             ` Steve D
From: Steve D @ 2009-02-06  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

<RasikaSrinivasan@gmail.com> wrote in message
>On Dec 30 2008, 9:55 am, "Steve D" <nospam_steve...@comcast.net>
>wrote:
>[snip]
>as possible
>Slightly OT - please forgive me.
>
>Sun's VirtualBox - is this like VMWARE? which distro of Linux have you
>run successfully? In particular with gnat? Hypothetically, could one
>have the same dir structure and build on both platforms?
>
>thanks for any info,
>
>srini

Yes, it is very much like VMWARE.

I have run both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of Ubuntu.  I have run gnat on
both versions.  The VirtualBox manual describes officially supported "Guest
Additions" for Fedora, Redhat, SUSE, and Ubuntu.  I have also run Windows
2000 with no issues.

The 64 bit version of virtual box version 2.1.2 is about a 40 MB download.
I started using the 64 bit version when I started running Vista 64.  I used
the 32 bit version when I was running XP.

The easiest way to install an OS is to download an ISO image and mount it as
a virtual disk on the VM.  With Ubuntu it just worked.

I have used 3 virtual machines (in order of preference): VMWARE Workstation,
VirtutalBox and VirtualPC.

I think VMWARE is nicer than VirtualBox, but you can't beat the price of
VirtualBox.

Sorry I can't help with building gnat.  I haven't tried it in a long time
and didn't know what I was doing the last time I did.

Regards,
Steve