* Ada Compiler for PC?
@ 1995-01-07  1:05 emerrif
From: emerrif @ 1995-01-07  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

I urgently require a good, versatile ADA compiler for my PC,
does anyone know where I can buy or download such a thing?

My thanks to all.

* Re: Ada Compiler for PC?
@ 1995-01-07  2:38 tmoran
From: tmoran @ 1995-01-07  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

  What do you mean by 'PC': 640K DOS?, big memory via DOS DPMI?,
Windows 9X? NT? OS/2? And do you mean 'compiles under', produces
programs that run under? 'uses features of', 'has library allowing
convenient access to API of'?
  Alsys, Rational (previously Meridian), and RR sell PC compilers
and GNAT is a Free Software Foundation partial Ada 95 compiler.
From the FAQ:
  Alsys:Pat Michalowski at 619/457-2700 for more info.
  Meridian:Gary Newman,800/653-2522, 703/318-5810.
  RR:Randall Brukardt, 800-PC-ADA4U, 608/251-3133, rbrukardt@bix.com
Gnat is ftp-able from pub/gnat at cs.nyu.edu
Aetech (whose number I don't find handy) also sells a PC compiler,
targeted, I believe, at Windows.

* Re: Ada compiler for PC?
@ 1999-04-17  0:00 ` Tom Moran
From: Tom Moran @ 1999-04-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>I am curious if there is a latest version of an Ada compiler
>anywhere for download, but I more interested in it being for a Win98
>platform rather than the for-free aspect of it.
Several companies (www.aonix.com, www.gnat.com, www.rrsoftware.com
and, I think, Greenhils, DDC, and Idaho Engineering Labs) offer Window
Ada compilers  If you want one for the price of a download (but
obviously without free support) look at Aonix (size limits on the
downloadable compiler) or Gnat.
  If "latest version" means in-house in alpha testing, you won't find
it.  The latest version that's publicly available for download is the

@ 1999-04-17  0:00 ` Steven Hovater
From: Steven Hovater @ 1999-04-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rational's  ApexNT product is pretty kick-a**, I would add.

Cheers,
Steve

--
Steven
Hovater

* Ada compiler for PC?
@ 1999-04-17  0:00 Michael Feher
From: Michael Feher @ 1999-04-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1999-04-18  0:00 ` Wilhelm Spickermann
From: Wilhelm Spickermann @ 1999-04-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Feher wrote:

> Hello -
>    I know this is probably in a FAQ somewhere but here it goes...
>
>    I am curious if there is a latest version of an Ada compiler
> anywhere for download, but I more interested in it being for a Win98
> platform rather than the for-free aspect of it.  If anyone has
> any information for me, please respond to this newsgroup or
> e-mail me.
>
>    Thanks in advance -
>    Mike
Hello -

Have a look at http://stad.dsl.nl/~jvandyk/compilers.html

Wilhelm Spickermann

* Re: Ada compiler for PC?
@ 1999-04-18  0:00   ` Tom Moran
From: Tom Moran @ 1999-04-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Several companies ... offer Windows Ada compilers
Egad, I left off Rational (www.rational.com)

* Re: Ada compiler for PC?
@ 1999-04-20  0:00   ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1999-04-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3718d384.254178@news.pacbell.net>, tmoran@bix.com (Tom Moran) writes:
>>I am curious if there is a latest version of an Ada compiler
>>anywhere for download, but I more interested in it being for a Win98
>>platform rather than the for-free aspect of it.
> Several companies (www.aonix.com, www.gnat.com, www.rrsoftware.com
> and, I think, Greenhils, DDC, and Idaho Engineering Labs) offer Window
> Ada compilers  If you want one for the price of a download (but
> obviously without free support) look at Aonix (size limits on the
> downloadable compiler) or Gnat.
>   If "latest version" means in-house in alpha testing, you won't find
> it.  The latest version that's publicly available for download is the
> version that's publicly available for download.

On the other hand, I think it possible that "latest" meant "conforming
to the most recent Ada standard".  Since that standard was completed
in 1995, it is the one addressed by all of those compilers.

Larry Kilgallen

* Re: Ada compiler for PC?
@ 1999-04-20  0:00     ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1999-04-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1999Apr20.073527.1@eisner>,
  Kilgallen@eisner.decus.org.nospam wrote:
> On the other hand, I think it possible that "latest"
> meant "conforming to the most recent Ada standard".
> Since that standard was completed
> in 1995, it is the one addressed by all of those
> compilers.

Indeed! I found Tom's reply very odd. When someone asks
for the latest version of PowerPoint, they are not asking
for the development version that some team in Redmond is
using to test out their latest additions and fixes ...

For the record,

The latest public version of GNAT is 3.11p

The latest version of GNAT Professional is 3.11b2

We are testing version 3.12 technology, and early beta
versions are being tested by selected customers. We are
hoping that the 3.12a GNAT Professional release will be
ready for beta testing within a couple of weeks. If this
testing goes smoothly, then a final release of GNAT
Professional 3.12 will follow, followed by a release
of public version 3.12p.

Robert Dewar

* Re: Ada compiler for PC?
@ 1999-04-20  0:00       ` Tom Moran
From: Tom Moran @ 1999-04-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>When someone asks
>for the latest version of PowerPoint, they are not asking
>for the development version that some team in Redmond is
>using to test out their latest additions and fixes
 But the original asked:
> if there is a latest version of an Ada compiler
>anywhere for download
Of the finite set of versions available for download , one is
necessarily the latest of that set.  Presumably the Redmond
development version of PowerPoint, while later than any other, is not
in the set of available versions.  If it is, then it's probably the
latest in that set.  Similarly with Gnat - the daily development
version is not available for (public) download so it is not a member
of the set of "available for download" versions and thus is not the
latest member of that set.  Last time I looked,  3.11p was both
"available" and "the latest available", for download.