* Ada Concept Book
@ 1995-01-03 20:38 Scott Bauer ;-
From: Scott Bauer ;- @ 1995-01-03 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm looking for a really good ada concept and algorithm book.
One that contains information on File systems using ada would be most
useful. Especially using blocking and buffering.  The one I'm currently
using for class just doesn't cut it.
Thanks for any suggestions

* ADA Concept book
@ 1995-01-03 22:55 Michael J. Heining
From: Michael J. Heining @ 1995-01-03 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think it would be interesting if this sort of book was produced on the
news channel.  Someone build an outline and put each section for proposed text.
Then everyone could work togther , or seperatly and insert it into the book.
Then do a complete book edit/review.

* Re: Ada Concept Book
@ 1995-01-05  4:28 ` Michael Feldman
From: Michael Feldman @ 1995-01-05  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3eccjr$2q0@urvile.MSUS.EDU>,
Scott Bauer ;-) <bauers01@TIGGER.STCLOUD.MSUS.EDU> wrote:
>I'm looking for a really good ada concept and algorithm book.
>One that contains information on File systems using ada would be most
>useful. Especially using blocking and buffering.  The one I'm currently
>using for class just doesn't cut it.
>Thanks for any suggestions

This is the only file structures book that uses Ada as its language of
discourse. If this is the one you think "doesn't cut it", you're
pretty much out of luck, unless there is something out there I'm
not aware of. I just finished teaching a files course using this
book, and most of the students thought it was OK.

Miller, N.E. and C.G. Petersen. File Structures with Ada.
Benjamin/Cummings, 1990. ISBN 0-8053-0440-1 (file structures)
  Designed for a straightforward ACM-curriculum file structures course,
this book succeeds at what it does. There are good discussions of ISAM
and B-tree organizations. The software can be purchased a low cost from
the authors; it seems to approximate in Ada all those C-based file
packages advertised in programmer-oriented trade publications.

Good luck!

Mike Feldman
Michael B. Feldman -  chair, SIGAda Education Working Group
The George Washington University -  Washington, DC 20052 USA
202-994-5919 (voice) - 202-994-0227 (fax) - mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Internet)
One, two, three ways an underdog: Ada fan, Mac fan, Old Liberal Democrat
         Ada on the World-Wide Web: http://lglwww.epfl.ch/Ada/

* Re: Ada Concept Book
@ 1995-01-05  8:32   ` Jean-Pierre Rosen
From: Jean-Pierre Rosen @ 1995-01-05  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3efsgg$dvf@felix.seas.gwu.edu>, mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Michael Feldman) writes:
> In article <3eccjr$2q0@urvile.MSUS.EDU>,
> Scott Bauer ;-) <bauers01@TIGGER.STCLOUD.MSUS.EDU> wrote:
> >I'm looking for a really good ada concept and algorithm book.
> >One that contains information on File systems using ada would be most
> >useful. Especially using blocking and buffering.  The one I'm currently
> >using for class just doesn't cut it.
> >Thanks for any suggestions
> >
> This is the only file structures book that uses Ada as its language of
> discourse. [...]
Not the only one! I can recommend:
"Des structures aux bases de donnees", by C. Carrez, Dunod Publisher.
A very good book, because it addresses data structures and data bases, and
it just happenned to use Ada because the author thought it was the most
readable way to describe algorithms.
Well... Of course, it's in French, but the language was not part of the initial
specification...

* Re: ADA Concept book
@ 1995-01-05 16:06 ` David Weller
From: David Weller @ 1995-01-05 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3ecklj$ck6@rcp6.elan.af.mil>,
Michael J. Heining <heining@ws13.elan.af.mil> wrote:
>I think it would be interesting if this sort of book was produced on the
>news channel.
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^

OK, what the heck is this?

--
       Frustrated with C/C++, Pascal, Fortran?  Ada95 _might_ be for you!
	  For all sorts of interesting Ada95 tidbits, run the command:

* Re: Ada Concept Book
@ 1995-01-06  3:41 ` David Soto
From: David Soto @ 1995-01-06  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

error@hell wrote:
: I'm looking for a really good ada concept and algorithm book.
: One that contains information on File systems using ada would be most
: useful. Especially using blocking and buffering.  The one I'm currently
: using for class just doesn't cut it.
: Thanks for any suggestions

I'd recommend:
   Ada Problem Solving and Program Design, Micheal B. Feldman
   Software Components with Ada, Booch

After reviewing tons of books, I only keep these two by my side.

David