* gcc-ada-3.3 task problems under solaris 9
@ 2003-06-16  5:41 nathand
From: nathand @ 2003-06-16  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced problems with ada 3.3 tasking under solaris 9.
I have compiled gcc-ada-3.3 under solaris 9 64bit using gnat-3.15 binaries to assist the compilation.
A simple single threaded process works just fine, and exits cleanly.
A program containing a task coredumps with the following information from gdb

0x2931c in system__task_primitives__operations__self () at s-tpopse.adb:174
174        if To_Iptr (Get_G7 - 120).all /=

When I compile a simple test program with either the gcc-ada-3.3 compiler, or the 3.15 compiler I get the same result as shown above.

* Re: gcc-ada-3.3 task problems under solaris 9
@ 2003-06-16  8:29 ` Thierry Lelegard
From: Thierry Lelegard @ 2003-06-16  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is a known issue of GNAT 3.15. Its runtime used an unsupported
feature of the Solaris libthread which is no longer valid on Solaris 9.
GNAT 5.00a has a fix and works on both Solaris 8 and 9.

If you are not an ACT customer and do not have access to 'a' versions,
you can still use GNAT 3.15p on Solaris 9, provided that you use the
pthreads instead of the native Solaris threads. (Slightly worse performance
may be expected).

Move to gnat/lib/gcc-lib/.../2.8.1 and modify the symbolic links adainclude
and adalib. Make them point into rts-pthread instead of rts-native.

I do not know anything about gcc-ada-3.3 but it has a bad reputation however.
Use GNAT release instead.

-Thierry

@ 2003-06-16 10:12   ` David Holm
From: David Holm @ 2003-06-16 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

It might be more convenient to run gnatmake with --RTS=pthread than to relink adainclude/adalib.

//David Holm

@ 2003-06-17  4:16   ` nathand
From: nathand @ 2003-06-17  4:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the help respondants.  The problem is fixed.  Much appreaciated.