From: s_rodema@cellar.rz.uni-ulm.de (Joerg Rodemann)
Subject: Re: GNAT not 'getting' CR or LF?
Date: 4 Jan 1995 11:47:53 GMT
Date: 1995-01-04T11:47:53+00:00	[thread overview]

Smilin' Ron Finkbine (finkbine@nmt.edu) wrote:
> I am using the gnat system (DOS version) and am writing a
> Fortran scanner. I am having a problem with the Text_IO.get
> function getting a character. It seems to ignore the carriage
> return and linefeed characters.

Hello!

As you might have read last month I had the same problem with GNAT on
a Sun-Workstation. I tried to write a routine that reads one character
from stdin without making any difference between normal and special
characters (e. g. '\n').

Per chance I found a solution that worked pretty good for my needs. And
it proved really easy, too. All I had to do was to replace the GET-routine
from Text_IO with the same routine from IO. As it turned out, this
procedure does not distinguish between alphanumerical or special
characters. Especially it also returned the needed newline.

I do not have any knowledge whether this solution is just working correctly
on a Unix-machine or is also functioning under MS-Dos. On the other hand
it seems really easier to use getline for the problem you described, in my
opinion and as far as I understood your short description.

> Thanks.

> Ron

So long

George

--
Joerg 'George' Rodemann                                     Kelternweg 46
Department of Physics                                     89075 Ulm/Donau