From: Jerry <lanceboyle@qwest.net>
Subject: Re: question on GtkAda
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 15:59:08 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2010-12-17T15:59:08-08:00	[thread overview]

On Dec 15, 5:58 pm, "Nasser M. Abbasi" <n...@12000.org> wrote:
> On 12/15/2010 4:15 PM, Jerry wrote:
>

> > On Dec 14, 6:57 pm, "Nasser M. Abbasi"<n...@12000.org>  wrote:
> >> Hello;
>
> >> Another question: If someone want to do plotting from Ada, how
> >> would one do that? GtkAda is just for making GUI?
>
> >> Thanks
> >> --Nasser
>
> > PLplot has Ada bindings and and works with Gtk+ and many other
> > interactive devices and supports a number of file output formats as
> > well.
>
> >http://plplot.sourceforge.net/
>
> > PLplot is widely used and actively developed. It does not write data
> > to disk before plotting and thus is faster for some applications than
> > say e.g. Gnuplot.
>
> > The mailing list is your friend.
>
> > Jerry
>
> Yes, I knew about PlPlot ofcourse, thanks, and looked at it as well as
> manyothers.
>
> I wanted ONE library to do both GUI building (i.e. make canvas,
> layout button, graphics area, sliders, pop-up menus, etc... on it)
> and also do data visualization (plotting 2d, 3d, mesh plots, etc...),
> like I can do now easily with Matlab and Mathematica for example.
>
> I did not see that I can build a GUI with plplot? But I saw I
> can build a gui with gtk+ but no do plotting.

I'm actually not familiar with the PLplot-Gtk+ combination--I only
wrote the Ada bindings. I'm sure if you post your question to the
plplot list you will find out very quickly if the PLplot-Gtk+
combination has any synergy with writing GUI's in Gkt+.

> you say plplot works with gtk+, I am not sure what that means. do you
> have examples, screen shots of apps written in gtk+ as GUI using
> plplots into a drawing area created by gtk+? I thought it will be
> easier to learn one library that 2.
>
> What I am looking for, is there a way in Ada to make a gui, say such
> as this example: (this is just a random one I picked on the net,
> it uses Matlab GUI and plotting):
>
> http://lims.mech.northwestern.edu/projects/frictioninducedforcefields...
>
> Now, given all the above, for scientific applications, I still
> need to be able to access lapack functions from Ada. Ada Annex G
> just does not cut it. Very limited. As well as what other small
> Ada math libraries I could find.

Yes, Annex G is only a very small part. There has been an effort to
bind Ada to lapack but I'm up to date on it. Google "lapack Ada
binding" and I think you'll find some useful results. Let us know what
you find.

I would also like for there to be an Ada binding to GSL, the Gnu
Scientific Library:
http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/

Jerry