* Re: Ada magazine
@ 1994-12-31 13:14 Bob Wells #402
From: Bob Wells #402 @ 1994-12-31 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Weise <weisek@SOURCE.ASSET.COM> writes ....
< snip >

> called "Ada Letters", and is published by the ACM SIGAda.  If you want
> something flashier, with slick glossy covers & cool graphics, I would
> recommend that people begin submitting more articles to Embedded
> Systems, PCWeek, etc.  They have been known to publish articles
> favorable to Ada.

< snip >

What about if instead of "diving in at the deep end" and trying to come
up with a full magazines worth of Ada every month, we see if we can start
up a regular section in magazines like Embedded Systems, Defence
Electronics, PC Magazine and even Byte?

Like Kevin said above, these magazines are known to have published
articles favourable to Ada. (Why wouldn't they, after all it means they
get more people reading their mag!)

If we started submitting articles to such "mainstream, available just about
everywhere" magazines then we should be able to put Ada "in the face" of
many C/C++, FORTRAN, COBOL, etc. people. (Why, what was that Hortense? Did
you say Trojan Horse? Now really!   (-:   )

I'm sure that many people would be interested in such articles as "Using of
the new features of Ada 95 to correctly implement .........." (insert
favourite OO pradigm/construction/method here).

Imagine what could happen if all these people "clunking along" using C++
to try and implement certain OO constructs saw the elegance and ease of
the Ada 95 version!

Imagine all those people finding that a free Ada compiler was available
via ftp! (Why we might even get a Windoze port for GNAT out of it?)

Imagine having Ada visible to management reading such glossies every
month and not just when a magazine decides to run their bi-yearly special
Ada issue!

Imagine the feedback we would get from people looking at Ada 95 from
outside? Such alternative viewpoints are, IMHO, extremely useful, especially
when you have been looking at something "from the inside" for too long!

As a suggestion, why not pick a magazine and then possibly reprint an
article from Ada Strategies or Ada Letters when there was nothing
available? We could have someone from c.l.a possibly in charge of
submissions. When it was geting close to put the mag to bed, if there
was nothing available then they could "plead" (-:   , via c.l.a, for
suggetsions or submissions.

G'day Ralph Crafts, what do you think of this idea?

G'day Ed Seidowitz, has your favourite "article example" "the bank accounts"
been updated for Ada 95 yet?

What about as an introduction article we use the article about the
Ada vs. Ada 95 differences that .... wrote? (Sorry having a brain fart
here, was it John Barnes who wrote such an article?)

Any further ideas? David Weller what say you?

Happy New Year everyone!

@                   --------
@          ////  - ( G'day! )
@         (o o)     --------
@ ----oOO--(_)--OOo--------------------------------------------------------
  Bob Wells         "The marvels of today's modern technology include the
                     development of a soda can, when discarded will last
                     forever ... and a $7,000 car which when properly cared
                     for will rust out in two or three years."
@ INTERNET: wel@eurocontrol.de                 Compu$erve:      100272,3004
@ The Ada WWW Server is http://lglwww.epfl.ch/Ada/                 Team Ada
@ For exciting Ada info enter 'finger wel@s4ecawel.eurocontrol.de'

* Re: Ada magazine
@ 1994-12-22 18:53 Capt. Britt Snodgrass
From: Capt. Britt Snodgrass @ 1994-12-22 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

At one time (1988-1989) there was a magazine called the "Journal of
Pascal, Ada, and Modula-2."  I liked it and used to buy it at
Waldenbooks.  Unfortunately, they stopped publishing about four years
ago.

+================================================================+
| Capt Britt Snodgrass          e-mail: britt@molokai.46tg.af.mil|
|                               member: Team Ada                 |
+================================================================+

* Ada magazine
@ 1994-12-22 14:48 DEAN RUNZEL
From: DEAN RUNZEL @ 1994-12-22 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a question for the Ada community and the vendors. Has anyone ever
seriously considered starting a magazine with a primarily Ada orientation?
Recently, while in my local Barnes and Knoble (?) bookstore, I saw tons of
computer oriented magazines. There are special magazines for operating
systems, virtual reality, home PC users, multimedia, and even one devoted
entirely to Internet computing.

Now, the bad news. There were at least three magazines dealing almost
exclusively with C/C++ and even one devoted entirely to SmallTalk. Now
if SmallTalk can have a magazine on the shelves of a major bookstore chain,
why can't Ada?

Surely, the Ada gurus, (Mr. Feldman, Mr. Cohen, etc.) could write the
education and technical articles. Mr. Taft could write the detailed language
articles. The Ada community would have a more natural forum to post Ada
success stories. Students at the universities could contribute their work.
Interesting university student programming contests could be sponsored.
We could even poke (pun intended) a little fun at C/C++.

This has to be as cheap as constantly updating and distributing the CD-ROM
and managers are more likely to pick up a magazine off of my desk than to
ask to see my CD. Remember, not everyone has a CD-ROM computer but most
people have two eyes (No insult to my visually-impaired friends intended).

Can't someone see the logic of this? Would AJPO be willing to help?

If such a magazine were available would you subscribe? How much would you
be willing to pay? Would you be willing to contribute articles on a regular
basis? Would you be willing to leave it on a prominent corner of your
desk?

Now that the hard part of getting a new standard is edone, let's let Ada
loosen her corset a little and have some fun!! How about some of the
university professors having students write some fun stuff like games or
really neat windows editors in Ada? Part of the problem is everyone thinks
Ada is too technical. We've got something new and exciting. Let's PARTY!!

This is just my opinion, but let's stop being so stuffy and whining so much.
Let's stop spending time on me vs. you and devote our collective energy
to getting more exposure for Ada. Let's get a magazine, attend more non-
Ada conferences, encourage more students to write and submit Ada-based
papers to other conferences and stop just sitting behind our terminals and
complaining about the exposure C/C++ is getting.

Now is the time for all good men (and women) to come to the aid of Ada!

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I appreciate your comments.
Dean Runzel