* ADA95 COMPILER for an SGI Workstation?
@ 1994-12-30 20:09 M. Bersohn
From: M. Bersohn @ 1994-12-30 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Ada-fans,
    My best information is that there are no ADA95(aka ADA9x)
compilers available for SGI workstations. If anybody knows
of such a compiler could they kindly email me about where
to buy it?
    Thanks in advance.
	BTW,I am neither for nor against ADA; I just want to
try it out to have an at least somewhat informed opinion.
                          Sincerely yours,
						  Malcolm Bersohn
						  mbersohn@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca

* Re: ADA95 COMPILER for an SGI Workstation?
@ 1994-12-30 21:24 ` David Weller
From: David Weller @ 1994-12-30 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1994Dec30.200903.29267@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca>,
M. Bersohn <mbersohn@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca> wrote:
>Dear Ada-fans,
>    My best information is that there are no ADA95(aka ADA9x)
>compilers available for SGI workstations. If anybody knows
>of such a compiler could they kindly email me about where
>to buy it?
>    Thanks in advance.
>	BTW,I am neither for nor against ADA; I just want to
>try it out to have an at least somewhat informed opinion.

Holy smokes!  You could have knocked me over with a feather on this
one!  SGI is the STRONGEST supporter of Ada95 -- they had a large
demonstration booth showing off their Ada WOrkshop product.  Awesome
is an understatement.  They even demonstrated interoperability with
C++ by showing that you can inherit from a C++ class (and C++ classes
can inherit from tagged types in Ada95).

I think you can e-mail Dave McAllister (mcallister@wpd.sgi.com) for
more info.  SGI would be HAPPY to talk to you about their Ada95
solutions :-)

--
       Frustrated with C/C++, Pascal, Fortran?  Ada95 _might_ be for you!
	  For all sorts of interesting Ada95 tidbits, run the command:

* Re: ADA95 COMPILER for an SGI Workstation?
@ 1994-12-30 22:19 ` Michael Feldman
From: Michael Feldman @ 1994-12-30 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1994Dec30.200903.29267@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca>,
M. Bersohn <mbersohn@alchemy.chem.utoronto.ca> wrote:
>Dear Ada-fans,
>    My best information is that there are no ADA95(aka ADA9x)
>compilers available for SGI workstations. If anybody knows
>of such a compiler could they kindly email me about where
>to buy it?

While it is true that you cannot yet _buy_ an Ada 95 for SGI boxes,
you can get one free, as there exists a GNAT port for these machines.
Grab it from cs.nyu.edu, directory pub/gnat.

SGI is very interested in Ada 95, and has put a fair amount of effort
(and, I am told, a fair amount of money) into getting that GNAT port
not only in good shape for its own sake, but interfacing it nicely to
their C and C++ libraries.

Thre are relatively few Ada 95 compilers available at this point, though
several have been announced. From what I can tell, for those Unix boxes
for which GNAT ports exist, GNAT is ahead of the others in functionality,
by a long shot.

The largest piece of Ada 95 not fully implemented by GNAT on all platforms
is tasking and protected types; as it happens, tasking is in very good
shape in the SGI version (the SGI folks like tasking).

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Happy New Year.

Mike Feldman
Michael B. Feldman -  chair, SIGAda Education Working Group
The George Washington University -  Washington, DC 20052 USA
202-994-5919 (voice) - 202-994-0227 (fax) - mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Internet)
         Ada on the World-Wide Web: http://lglwww.epfl.ch/Ada/
"Illegitimi non carborundum." (Don't let the bastards grind you down.)