* Complete Ada set ... where?
@ 1994-12-30  6:37 Menard Steve
From: Menard Steve @ 1994-12-30  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

	Hi everybody,

		I have just a small question : Where can I get Ada? I
mean, I saw a post 2-3 days back in c.l.c++ about where Ic ould get it,
but, well, being primarily a PC user(I use Unix at school because I
must), I am not used to browsing the internet for stuff I want. So, to
break down my earlier question, could someone answer the following :

	1) Where can I get GNAT (Ada95) for DOS/Windwos and OS/2(my
platforms of choice)?

	2) Where can I get the libraris do do GUI(win or OS/2PM)
developpement, if they exist?

	3) Where can I get documents to learn the Basics of Ada? I want
to know some becaus investing in expensive book.

	Well, thats about all for now. Thanks in advance.
Steve
menars@jsp.umontreal.ca

* Re: Complete Ada set ... where?
@ 1994-12-30 13:07 ` R. William Beckwith
From: R. William Beckwith @ 1994-12-30 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Menard Steve (menars@JSP.UMontreal.CA) wrote:

: 		I have just a small question : Where can I get Ada? I
: mean, I saw a post 2-3 days back in c.l.c++ about where Ic ould get it,
: but, well, being primarily a PC user(I use Unix at school because I
: must), I am not used to browsing the internet for stuff I want. So, to
: break down my earlier question, could someone answer the following :

: 	1) Where can I get GNAT (Ada95) for DOS/Windwos and OS/2(my
: platforms of choice)?

cs.nyu.edu:pub/gnat

: 	2) Where can I get the libraris do GUI(win or OS/2PM)
: developement, if they exist?

We are working on a Fresco implementation for Ada 95 (Fresco is the
X11R6 CORBA-based graphics and GUI system). We will have X/Unix, Win'95,
and Win NT versions later in 1995 (Q1=X, Q2=Win).  Email info@ois.com
or ftp to sgi.com:graphics/fresco for further info.

: 	3) Where can I get documents to learn the Basics of Ada? I want
: to know some because investing in expensive book.

I would suggest starting with the FAQ.  The FAQ has a list of
suggested reading.

: 	Well, thats about all for now. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the interest.

: Steve
: menars@jsp.umontreal.ca

... Bill

* Re: Complete Ada set ... where?
@ 1994-12-30 17:47 ` Michael Feldman
From: Michael Feldman @ 1994-12-30 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <D1M2EJ.G74@cc.umontreal.ca>,
Menard Steve <menars@JSP.UMontreal.CA> wrote:

>	1) Where can I get GNAT (Ada95) for DOS/Windwos and OS/2(my
>platforms of choice)?

ftp to cs.nyu.edu, pub/gnat for both versions. There's no specific Windows
version, though there is a Windows-NT one. DOS and OS/2

>	2) Where can I get the libraris do do GUI(win or OS/2PM)
>developpement, if they exist?

These do not exist yet, though I am aware of an effort on an OS/2 PM
interface. Maybe he will write you or post something; I don't want to
speak for him.

>	3) Where can I get documents to learn the Basics of Ada? I want
>to know some becaus investing in expensive book.

Well, if you learn well from examples, there are a number of interesting
ones in the GNAT examples directory, and many more in the example
directories that come with GW-Ada/Ed-DOS, which you can ftp from
wuarchive.wustl.edu, languages/ada/compiler/adaed/gwu/dos.

A pretty good shareware interactive tutorial is available from wuarchive
in languages/ada/crsware/ada/adatutor and ../a9xtutor.

Hope this helps.

Mike Feldman
Michael B. Feldman -  chair, SIGAda Education Working Group
The George Washington University -  Washington, DC 20052 USA
202-994-5919 (voice) - 202-994-0227 (fax) - mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu (Internet)
         Ada on the World-Wide Web: http://lglwww.epfl.ch/Ada/
"Illegitimi non carborundum." (Don't let the bastards grind you down.)

* Re: Complete Ada set ... where?
@ 1994-12-30 21:12   ` David Weller
From: David Weller @ 1994-12-30 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3e1h2m$bmq@felix.seas.gwu.edu>,
Michael Feldman <mfeldman@seas.gwu.edu> wrote:
>>	2) Where can I get the libraris do do GUI(win or OS/2PM)
>>developpement, if they exist?
>
>These do not exist yet, though I am aware of an effort on an OS/2 PM
>interface. Maybe he will write you or post something; I don't want to
>speak for him.

The PM bindings will be ftp'able by tomorrow, probably by this
evening.  Watch this newsgroup for announcements.

--
       Frustrated with C/C++, Pascal, Fortran?  Ada95 _might_ be for you!
	  For all sorts of interesting Ada95 tidbits, run the command: