From: dontwantspam@abc.com (Jan)
Subject: parameter modes
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2002 19:18:59 GMT
Date: 2002-12-25T19:18:59+00:00	[thread overview]

Hello.

Yet another question/problem:

I know how "in", "out", and "in out" works, so this is not the
problem, but I need to know what exactly happens in memory.
I need to pass a large array, so I need a parameter mode, which
doesn't make a copy of it.

This is what I found out (there is not much about it in the LRM, or
maybe I haven't found the right paragraph):

OUT : a 2nd variable of same type is made, containing undefined
      values. When procedure ends, this new variable is copied to the
      original one (and then the new one is probably removed from
      memory).

So now the question: what happens when using "IN" and "IN OUT"? I can
only guess, so I would be grateful when somebody (who really knows
what's behind it) could explain it to me.

BTW: I know that there can be also "ACCESS" (as a parameter mode),
could someone give an example? Maybe that's what I'm looking for (when
I want to pass an array).

Jan

---
eMail: janp9 @ gmx.net