* PC Week and C++
@ 1994-12-29 18:33 James Hopper
From: James Hopper @ 1994-12-29 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

thought this group would find this interesting.  We might want to work
next year to make Ada9x the language of the year!

jim

In PC week the Year in Review under section "Biggest Letdowns of the Year"

The C++ Programming Language

"With syntax so chaotic that even compilers have to guess at it,
C++ code had better be reusable, because no one will ever want
to reverse-engineer it.  The programming language's
"feature" - being a superset of C- is a fundamental bug.
With numerous large projects being written in already obsolete
dialects, C++ is arguably an "instant legacy" language."

Oh I can't resist ;-)

their product of the year was.... [ remember this is a PC only mag]

Mac OS 7.5!!

"Proving over time that Apple was right in 1984, Mac OS 7.5
maintains the overall edge in friendly usability that makes
Macintosh users wonder why anyone would even think of using
anything else."

* Re: PC Week and C++
@ 1994-12-29 21:22 ` Alexy V. Khrabrov
From: Alexy V. Khrabrov @ 1994-12-29 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

The resolution about c++ is definitely reassuring.  BTW,
I suggest a new visual interpretation of the C++ (or c++)
acronym.  It was a face of a programmer.  He/she was
looking at some would-be reusable components in c++,
trying to reuse them.  She/he was looking through
some would-be friendly software engineering tools,
trying to use them.  The pluses are the eyes, which
went out of the contour of the face after some weeks
of the search.

System 7.5 is great, but is essentially System Pro and
updates, with additions from shareware.  Of course,
after using Mac one cannot understand using anything else
analogously to Ada turnung off other languages.  The
basic similarity between Mac and Ada is that they both
were _engineered_ with an idea of being better, were
done ``intentionally,'' as compared to the creatures
of necessity, mere greediness, or Brawn movement.  They
were intended to be beautiful and omnipotent, and to
large extent they are.

I guess PC Week finds "PC" in PowerPC of similar nature.
Then, hopefully, we'll see rehabilitation of the now-offensive
acronym.

Let's have a Happy New Year!

        Alexy V. Khrabrov <khrabrov@cccc.com>
        ``Age Quod Agis'' (Do what you're doing.)

* Re: PC Week and C++
@ 1994-12-29 22:00 ` Dave Retherford
From: Dave Retherford @ 1994-12-29 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3duve1$25q@dayuc.dayton.saic.com>,
James Hopper  <jim_Hopper@dayton.saic.com> wrote:
> thought this group would find this interesting.  We might want to work
> next year to make Ada9x the language of the year!
>
> jim
>

> In PC week the Year in Review under section "Biggest Letdowns of the Year"
>
> The C++ Programming Language
>
> "With syntax so chaotic that even compilers have to guess at it,
> C++ code had better be reusable, because no one will ever want
> to reverse-engineer it.  The programming language's
> "feature" - being a superset of C- is a fundamental bug.
> With numerous large projects being written in already obsolete
> dialects, C++ is arguably an "instant legacy" language."
>

> Oh I can't resist ;-)

[Mac stuf deleted due to proprietary nature, self indulgent high pricing,
and aggressive litigation to supress independent development of Mac
developer tools and enviroments.]

	(I couldn't resist either :-)

In the same issue Peter Coffee writes in his column...
(page 34)

"    In this column that bridges one year into another, I'm supposed
to take the big risk of predicting what 1995 will hold.
     I predict that developers will tire of "Guess what this does?" and
move toward langauges that don't hide their code's true intentions.
In corporate environments, these will be Object COBOL, Smalltalk,
and Ada 95.  No longer Ada 9x, Ada 95 will soon be the first ISO
standard object-oriented language.  Check it out."

Maybe '95 _REALLY_ will be the year Ada breaks free.

Dave.
| Dave Retherford                 | "Remember this:  While somebody is    |
|  Daver@Neosoft.com  or:         | is down there kissin' your butt,      |
|  Dave_Retherford@hso.link.com   | they could just as easily be bitin'   |
|       (work)                    | it too."  -- Forestt Gump             |