From: bishopm@source.asset.com (Michael M. Bishop)
Subject: Re: Ada magazine
Date: 28 Dec 1994 00:04:03 -0500
Date: 1994-12-28T00:04:03-05:00	[thread overview]

In article <3dc3k4$39k@monmouth.edu>,
DEAN RUNZEL <s0222353@moncol.monmouth.edu> wrote:
>I have a question for the Ada community and the vendors. Has anyone ever
>seriously considered starting a magazine with a primarily Ada orientation?

I haven't thought about this before, but I must say that it is a very
good idea. There is an Ada magazine published by ACM, Ada Letters, so we
don't want to step on their toes. Maybe they would even help.

>Surely, the Ada gurus, (Mr. Feldman, Mr. Cohen, etc.) could write the
>education and technical articles. Mr. Taft could write the detailed language
>articles. The Ada community would have a more natural forum to post Ada
>success stories. Students at the universities could contribute their work.
>Interesting university student programming contests could be sponsored.
>We could even poke (pun intended) a little fun at C/C++.

Mike, Norm and Tucker would be excellent choices for magazine
contributors. I wonder if they would have time for something like this
since they seem to be involved in so many other things. Ada success
stories are currently published in Ada Letters, but there is no reason
we shouldn't publicize them as much as possible.

>Can't someone see the logic of this? Would AJPO be willing to help?

I certainly see the logic of this idea. However, you're preaching to the
choir. We'd have to convince a publisher who may not see the logic of
it. As far as AJPO is concerned (isn't DISA supposed to be taking over
for them?), I can't speak for them.

>If such a magazine were available would you subscribe? How much would you
>be willing to pay? Would you be willing to contribute articles on a regular
>basis? Would you be willing to leave it on a prominent corner of your
>desk?

I could subscribe to a magazine like this, and many c.l.a. readers would
probably subscribe to it, but the audience you'd need to attract is the
"maintream" computing crowd, many of whom don't read c.l.a. I would be
willing to contribute articles to such a magazine, but I have a bad
track record in terms of getting articles accepted. Therefore, you must
hope to find contributors more reputable than I. (Which is not as
difficult a task as I would like to believe. :-)

--
| Mike Bishop              | The opinions expressed here reflect    |
| bishopm@source.asset.com | those of this station, its management, |