* C to Ada for windows?
@ 2002-11-25 11:18 Sim Con
From: Sim Con @ 2002-11-25 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello! there is a program taht converts c to ada for windows OS? Thanx
in advance!

* Re: C to Ada for windows?
@ 2002-11-25 15:10 ` Ira Baxter
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ira Baxter @ 2002-11-25 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

I don't know of a tool that specifically does this.

We offer generalized compiler technology for carrying
out such conversions, however, and our tools
have a full ANSI C front end complete with
preprocessor, and an Ada back end.
Somebody has to code the actual transforms.
See http://www.semdesigns.com/Products/Services/LegacyMigration.html.

I'm not sure how pretty the results will be.
C programs don't have a lot of explicit modularity
or careful type declarations ("int X" doesn't
tell you much about the expected range of values
for X).     One could, with effort,
extract some of that range information
by automating a program analysis.

--
Ira D. Baxter, Ph.D., CTO   512-250-1018
Semantic Designs, Inc.      www.semdesigns.com

"Sim Con" <sicon@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello! there is a program taht converts c to ada for windows OS? Thanx
> in advance!
>

> --

* Re: C to Ada for windows?
@ 2002-11-27 19:07 ` Jorg van Daelen
From: Jorg van Daelen @ 2002-11-27 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Sim Con" <sicon@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<2ecf22d9290d3669ff87b7c85342e5f5.110780@mygate.mailgate.org>...
> Hello! there is a program taht converts c to ada for windows OS? Thanx
> in advance!

I tried for some time to port c2ada to windows but there are too many
hurdles.
It takes less effort to install Redhat Linux and use the pre-build
c2ada converter from home.pacbell.net/nma123

Jorg.

* Re: C to Ada for windows?
@ 2002-11-29  6:04 ` Craig Carey
From: Craig Carey @ 2002-11-29  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002 11:18:12 +0000 (UTC), "Sim Con" <sicon@hotmail.com>
wrote to comp.lang.ada:

>Hello! Is there a program that converts C to Ada for [the] Windows OS?.
>Thanks in advance!.

Sure there could be a C to Ada parser.

ASF+SDF seems to be a best/quality choice for implementing a C to Ada 95
parser. It can even separate out "xy" as "x * y" and implement the mixfix
notation. After the abject failure of the DoD (AJPO??) funded JGNAT
project I became sure that a parser would port all languages to Ada 95.

Here is the ASF+SDF reference manual:

http://www.cwi.nl/projects/MetaEnv/meta/doc/manual/user-manual.html

Some interesting parts are:

(*) section 9.14 ("Equations"). Equations can specify the output when the
 parser is rewriting a program.

(*) section 10.3 ("Code Generation"). There is an example in that section
 implying that ASF+SDF can transform programs. It can also rewrite yacc
 rules into ASF+SDF format.

The software installs easily and it compiles in Cygwin, and
an investigation could be held by the absence of information on what
MS-DOS (etc.) command causes the Assembly language example to run
correctly.

Adagide has a prettifier. (They have a generic program prettifier named).

Eiffel to Ada is a parser that could be nice following those blowhard
arguments saying that there had to be two types of assertion pragma,
one for the top and a quite different assert pragma at the bottom of
procedures. For those that don't like their Ada 95 compiler, could later
preprocess their *.ada files and strip off all the language extensions
that the ARG members would not vote for.

Craig Carey
Ada 95 mailing lists: htp://www.ijs.co.nz/ada_95.htm

* Re: C to Ada for windows?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-11-29 11:23 ` Dmitriy Anisimkov
From: Dmitriy Anisimkov @ 2002-11-29 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Sim Con" <sicon@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello! there is a program taht converts c to ada for windows OS? Thanx
> in advance!

The CBIND is converting al least C header files to Ada.
there is a port to Win32.

http://vagul.tripod.com/cbind4win32.zip