* ANNOUNCE: Partial Prototype Implementation of CORBA 2.0 IIOP
@ 1994-12-22 18:49 Dennis Heimbigner
From: Dennis Heimbigner @ 1994-12-22 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

<TITLE>Arcadia: CU Arcadia: Arctic Messaging System</TITLE>

<h1>
Arctic
</h1>

<h2>Location:</h2>
<ul>
<li> Latest Version: Arctic0.1

<li> README file via WWW:
<li> http://www.cs.colorado.edu/homes/arcadia/public_html/arctic.html
<li>
Source</a>:
<ul>
<li> Via anonymous ftp: <pre>
machine: ftp.cs.colorado.edu (128.138.243.151)
directory: /pub/cs/distribs/arcadia
file: arctic.tar.Z (symbolic link
                    to latest version)
</pre>
</ul>
</ul>

<h2>Description:</h2>

Arctic
is a modification of the University of Colorado
arpc</a>
remote procedure call system.
Arctic version 0.1 is the first of a planned
series of messaging systems implementing the CORBA 2.0
Internet Inter-Orb Protocol (IIOP).
This current version is a first prototype of that protocol.
Successive versions will move closer to the IIOP.
The OMG document 94.9.32, entitled ``ORB 2.0 RFP Submission'',
is being used as the basis for this prototype.

WARNING: the Arctic interface and message format can be expected
to change radically over time, especially between version 0
and version 1.  This is for two reasons.
First, the OMG document 94.9.32 is preliminary and changes
can be expected.
Second, Arctic is derived from arpc, and
it retains most of the existing arpc interface.
This interface is not completely ORB 2.0 conformant, but will move
in that direction as part of the move to arctic version 1.
Shortly, a version of
Q</a>
will be available that runs over arctic, instead of arpc.
This will provide a path for Ada programs to interoperate
using the ORB 2.0 IIOP.
The file doc/arctic.tex contains a more detailed description
of the capabilities of arctic.

<h2>Installation:</h2>
The file INSTALL provides detailed installation instructions.

<h2>Changes:</h2>
See the appendix in the file doc/arctic.tex for a detailed change history.

<h2>Contact and Bug Reports:</h2>
<address>
Dennis Heimbigner
</a>
(dennis@cs.colorado.edu)
</address>

* Re: ANNOUNCE: Partial Prototype Implementation of CORBA 2.0 IIOP
       [not found] <3dchn9$gf6@csnews.cs.colorado.edu>
@ 1994-12-23  3:40 ` David Brownell
From: David Brownell @ 1994-12-23  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dennis Heimbigner <dennis@boulder.Colorado.EDU> wrote:

> <li> http://www.cs.colorado.edu/homes/arcadia/public_html/arctic.html
>
> Arctic version 0.1 is the first of a planned
> series of messaging systems implementing the CORBA 2.0
> Internet Inter-Orb Protocol (IIOP).
> This current version is a first prototype of that protocol.
> Successive versions will move closer to the IIOP.
> The OMG document 94.9.32, entitled ``ORB 2.0 RFP Submission'',
> is being used as the basis for this prototype.

Much applause!  You're about the first team that's "gone public".
Good stuff, keep it up.

> WARNING: the Arctic interface and message format can be expected
> to change radically over time, especially between version 0
> and version 1.  This is for two reasons.
> First, the OMG document 94.9.32 is preliminary and changes
> can be expected.

Actually, not all that many changes; and it's not really felt to be
particularly preliminary.  It's quite implementable as it stands.
Simple versions were used to verify the 94.9.32 document (actual
title:  "Universal Networked Objects") before it was submitted.

> 	Second, Arctic is derived
> from arpc, and it retains most of the existing arpc interface.
> This interface is not completely ORB 2.0 conformant, but will move
> in that direction as part of the move to arctic version 1.

Since there's so much interest in IIOP and UNO (Arctic being one
example!) I'd like to reemphasize the point about not yet complying
with CORBA 2.0 in terms of the bits put on the wire.  I was kind
of hoping it'd talk to the stuff I've been working on, but it's not
ready for that quite yet!

Have a good holiday, all!

- Dave

--
David Brownell                        db@Eng.Sun.COM.
Distributed Object Management

main(a){printf(a,34,a="main(a){printf(a,34,a=%c%s%c,34);}",34);}