From: db@argon.Eng.Sun.COM (David Brownell)
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: Partial Prototype Implementation of CORBA 2.0 IIOP
Date: 23 Dec 1994 03:40:10 GMT
Date: 1994-12-23T03:40:10+00:00	[thread overview]

Dennis Heimbigner <dennis@boulder.Colorado.EDU> wrote:

> <li> http://www.cs.colorado.edu/homes/arcadia/public_html/arctic.html
>
> Arctic version 0.1 is the first of a planned
> series of messaging systems implementing the CORBA 2.0
> Internet Inter-Orb Protocol (IIOP).
> This current version is a first prototype of that protocol.
> Successive versions will move closer to the IIOP.
> The OMG document 94.9.32, entitled ``ORB 2.0 RFP Submission'',
> is being used as the basis for this prototype.

Much applause!  You're about the first team that's "gone public".
Good stuff, keep it up.

> WARNING: the Arctic interface and message format can be expected
> to change radically over time, especially between version 0
> and version 1.  This is for two reasons.
> First, the OMG document 94.9.32 is preliminary and changes
> can be expected.

Actually, not all that many changes; and it's not really felt to be
particularly preliminary.  It's quite implementable as it stands.
Simple versions were used to verify the 94.9.32 document (actual
title:  "Universal Networked Objects") before it was submitted.

> 	Second, Arctic is derived
> from arpc, and it retains most of the existing arpc interface.
> This interface is not completely ORB 2.0 conformant, but will move
> in that direction as part of the move to arctic version 1.

Since there's so much interest in IIOP and UNO (Arctic being one
example!) I'd like to reemphasize the point about not yet complying
with CORBA 2.0 in terms of the bits put on the wire.  I was kind
of hoping it'd talk to the stuff I've been working on, but it's not
ready for that quite yet!

Have a good holiday, all!

- Dave

--
David Brownell                        db@Eng.Sun.COM.
Distributed Object Management

main(a){printf(a,34,a="main(a){printf(a,34,a=%c%s%c,34);}",34);}