* Format of .adp files?
@ 2002-11-11 14:54 Victor Porton
From: Victor Porton @ 2002-11-11 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Which is the exact format of .adp (Ada projects for Emacs)
files? I found no such files in the Internet...

* Re: Format of .adp files?
@ 2002-11-11 15:55 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-11-11 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Victor Porton wrote:
> Which is the exact format of .adp (Ada projects for Emacs)
> files? I found no such files in the Internet...

Why? Just use the ada-mode pacakge in Emacs.

--
Preben Randhol ------------------------ http://www.pvv.org/~randhol/ --
�There are three things you can do to a woman. You can love her, suffer

* Re: Format of .adp files?
@ 2002-11-11 18:47 ` Eric G. Miller
From: Eric G. Miller @ 2002-11-11 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <3dcfc6ce$0$308$bed64819@news.gradwell.net>, Victor Porton wrote:

> Which is the exact format of .adp (Ada projects for Emacs)
> files? I found no such files in the Internet...

It's documented in the GNAT User's Guide w/ gcc 3.x.

* Re: Format of .adp files?
@ 2002-11-12 11:43   ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-11-12 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eric G. Miller wrote:
> In <3dcfc6ce$0$308$bed64819@news.gradwell.net>, Victor Porton wrote:
>
>> Which is the exact format of .adp (Ada projects for Emacs)
>> files? I found no such files in the Internet...
>
> It's documented in the GNAT User's Guide w/ gcc 3.x.

Is this on-line somewhere so I don't have to install gcc 3.x

--

@ 2002-11-12 13:46     ` SteveD
From: SteveD @ 2002-11-12 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Preben Randhol" <randhol+news@pvv.org> wrote in message
> Eric G. Miller wrote:
> > In <3dcfc6ce$0$308$bed64819@news.gradwell.net>, Victor Porton wrote:
> >
> >> Which is the exact format of .adp (Ada projects for Emacs)
> >> files? I found no such files in the Internet...
> >
> > It's documented in the GNAT User's Guide w/ gcc 3.x.
>
> Is this on-line somewhere so I don't have to install gcc 3.x

Yes.

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gnat_ug_unx/

SteveD

@ 2002-11-12 16:51     ` Rolf Ebert
From: Rolf Ebert @ 2002-11-12 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol <randhol+news@pvv.org> wrote in message news:<slrnat1qb1.sa.randhol+news@kiuk0152.chembio.ntnu.no>...
> Eric G. Miller wrote:
> > In <3dcfc6ce$0$308$bed64819@news.gradwell.net>, Victor Porton wrote:
> >
> >> Which is the exact format of .adp (Ada projects for Emacs)
> >> files? I found no such files in the Internet...
> >
> > It's documented in the GNAT User's Guide w/ gcc 3.x.
>
> Is this on-line somewhere so I don't have to install gcc 3.x

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gnat_ug_unx/Project-File-Complete-Syntax.html#Project%20File%20Complete%20Syntax

* Re: Format of .adp files?
@ 2002-11-12 20:05       ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2002-11-12 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

"SteveD" <nospam_steved94@attbi.com> writes:

> "Preben Randhol" <randhol+news@pvv.org> wrote in message
> > Eric G. Miller wrote:

> > > It's documented in the GNAT User's Guide w/ gcc 3.x.
> >
> > Is this on-line somewhere so I don't have to install gcc 3.x
> >
> Yes.
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gnat_ug_unx/

Thanks for the pointer. However, in this case it says (what is not a
great surprise)

   For a full detailed description of the format of the ali file, see
   the source of the body of unit Lib.Writ, contained in file
   lib-writ.adb in the GNAT compiler sources.

* Re: Format of .adp files?
@ 2002-11-12 22:51   ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 2002-11-12 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-11-12 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

David C. Hoos, Sr. wrote:
> Using .adp files is much more flexible than using the ada-mode
> customization options in emacs.

I want to support .adp in Vim too. Have never had need for it, but I can
see that it is useful. Any tips to make it better than the Emacs
version?
--

@ 2002-11-13  6:24   ` Eric G. Miller
From: Eric G. Miller @ 2002-11-13  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <pan.2002.11.11.18.50.59.276763@jps-nospam.net>, Eric G. Miller wrote:

> In <3dcfc6ce$0$308$bed64819@news.gradwell.net>, Victor Porton wrote:
>
>> Which is the exact format of .adp (Ada projects for Emacs)
>> files? I found no such files in the Internet...
>
> It's documented in the GNAT User's Guide w/ gcc 3.x.

I take it back. I'm pretty sure the Ada project for Emacs (.adp) is
not the same as the GNAT project file (.gpr).  Sorry for the confusion.

* Re: Format of .adp files?
@ 2002-11-13  6:36 ` Victor Porton
From: Victor Porton @ 2002-11-13  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <pan.2002.11.13.06.29.07.259436@jps-nospam.net>,
	"Eric G. Miller" <egm2@jps-nospam.net> writes:
> In <pan.2002.11.11.18.50.59.276763@jps-nospam.net>, Eric G. Miller wrote:
>
>> In <3dcfc6ce$0$308$bed64819@news.gradwell.net>, Victor Porton wrote:
>>
>>> Which is the exact format of .adp (Ada projects for Emacs)
>>> files? I found no such files in the Internet...
>>
>> It's documented in the GNAT User's Guide w/ gcc 3.x.
>
> I take it back. I'm pretty sure the Ada project for Emacs (.adp) is
> not the same as the GNAT project file (.gpr).  Sorry for the confusion.

For me Emacs has worked with GNAT UG description of the file format!

* Re: Format of .adp files?
@ 2002-11-13 14:45       ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2002-11-13 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol <randhol+news@pvv.org> writes:

> David C. Hoos, Sr. wrote:
> > Using .adp files is much more flexible than using the ada-mode
> > customization options in emacs.
>
> I want to support .adp in Vim too. Have never had need for it, but I can
> see that it is useful. Any tips to make it better than the Emacs
> version?

Impossible :)

Well, I have some suggestions; I've implemented them in my copy of the
Emacs version.

Allow environment variables and relative paths in the variables in the
project file. That adds much more flexibility. The relative paths
should be relative to the directory the project file is in.

Allow setting the casing exceptions file in the project file (you'll
also have to implement the ada-mode casing support :).

GNAT 3.15 has a totally new project file syntax; it looks like Ada (no
surprise there :). You might want to wait until that becomes public.
Although the Emacs support uses an Ada program to translate the 3.15
project file into an Emacs project file, and GNAT 3.14 ada-mode lisp
code to read that; you could take the same approach.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Format of .adp files?
@ 2002-11-13 14:49     ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2002-11-13 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Eric G. Miller" <egm2@jps-nospam.net> writes:

> In <pan.2002.11.11.18.50.59.276763@jps-nospam.net>, Eric G. Miller wrote:
>
> > In <3dcfc6ce$0$308$bed64819@news.gradwell.net>, Victor Porton wrote:
> >
> >> Which is the exact format of .adp (Ada projects for Emacs)
> >> files? I found no such files in the Internet...
> >
> > It's documented in the GNAT User's Guide w/ gcc 3.x.
>
> I take it back. I'm pretty sure the Ada project for Emacs (.adp) is
> not the same as the GNAT project file (.gpr).  Sorry for the confusion.

The .adp format is used by GNAT 3.14 and Emacs ada-mode; the .gpr
format is used by GNAT 3.15. There is an Ada program to translate .gpr
to .adp, which is how Emacs reads the .gpr format.

Note that it is not possible to go from .adp to .gpr, because the .gpr
format supports multiple "inherited" projects, while the .adp format
does not. So the Emacs "wizzy" editing mode for project files is now
even less useful (I never used it anyway).

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Format of .adp files?
@ 2002-11-13 15:35         ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-11-13 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake wrote:
> Impossible :)

hehehe.

> Well, I have some suggestions; I've implemented them in my copy of the
> Emacs version.
>
> Allow environment variables and relative paths in the variables in the
> project file. That adds much more flexibility. The relative paths
> should be relative to the directory the project file is in.

I see.

> Allow setting the casing exceptions file in the project file (you'll
> also have to implement the ada-mode casing support :).

Nonono I hate that auto-casing thing. I don't understand what it is
useful for.

> GNAT 3.15 has a totally new project file syntax; it looks like Ada (no
> surprise there :). You might want to wait until that becomes public.
> Although the Emacs support uses an Ada program to translate the 3.15
> project file into an Emacs project file, and GNAT 3.14 ada-mode lisp
> code to read that; you could take the same approach.

Ok I'll wait. I'll concentrate on other things instead :-)

--

@ 2002-11-13 17:30           ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 2002-11-13 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol <randhol+news@pvv.org> writes:

> Stephen Leake wrote:
> > Allow setting the casing exceptions file in the project file (you'll
> > also have to implement the ada-mode casing support :).
>
> Nonono I hate that auto-casing thing.

Well, just because you don't like it doesn't mean vim shouldn't
support it. But ok, one more score for Emacs :).

> I don't understand what it is useful for.

I can type

"with system.address_to_access_conversions"

and the editor automagically converts that to

"with System.Address_To_Access_Conversions".

So I never have to hit the shift key (helps avoid Carpal-Tunnel). In
addition, if I'm unsure of the proper capitalization of a previously
typed word, I can hit M-w and the word is re-capitalized.

It helps meet style guidelines. I would never enforce the
capitalization style if the editor did not support it (however, I will
tell people that's a reason to switch to Emacs).

There is a file of exceptions to the normal capitalization rule, so
things like Ada.Text_IO are done correctly (the _IO violates the
normal rule). That's the file that should be specified in the .adp
file.

--
-- Stephe

* Re: Format of .adp files?
@ 2002-11-14  5:58             ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2002-11-14  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake <stephen.a.leake.1@gsfc.nasa.gov> writes:

> There is a file of exceptions to the normal capitalization rule, so
> things like Ada.Text_IO are done correctly (the _IO violates the
> normal rule). That's the file that should be specified in the .adp
> file.

I've been using the supported version of ada-mode, so I may be a bit
off from the 3.6 version, but I'm pretty sure that

(a) the case exception file is a customization thing, not a .adp thing
(I'm not sure I totally agree with that)

(b) you can have more than one.

Running C-h C-v ada-case-exception-file here says

   ada-case-exception-file's value is
   ("~/.emacs_case_exceptions")

   Documentation:
   *List of special casing exceptions dictionaries for identifiers.
   The first file is the one where new exceptions will be saved by
   Emacs when you call `ada-create-case-exception'.

   These files should contain one word per line, that gives the casing
   to be used for that word in Ada files. If the line starts with the
   character *, then the exception will be used for substrings that
   either start at the beginning of a word or after a _ character, and
   end either at the end of the word or at a _ character. Each line
   can be terminated by a comment.

   You can customize this variable.

   Defined in `ada-mode'.

* Re: Format of .adp files?
@ 2002-11-14  6:11       ` Simon Wright
From: Simon Wright @ 2002-11-14  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake <stephen.a.leake.1@gsfc.nasa.gov> writes:

> The .adp format is used by GNAT 3.14 and Emacs ada-mode; the .gpr
> format is used by GNAT 3.15. There is an Ada program to translate
> .gpr to .adp, which is how Emacs reads the .gpr format.

There was an early version of GNAT Project in 3.14p, but it has
changed a lot in 3.15 and the GCC 3.? series. Works just fine in GCC
3.2, and (as Victor said) it's documented.

The 3.14 version had trouble with Windows drive letters.

The .adp format is fine for single users (and I still use it for small
jobs, because of the emacs editing) but it doesn't scale, and you
might have trouble using it in batch mode (ie, in a Makefile).

* Re: Format of .adp files?
@ 2002-11-14  9:43             ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-11-14  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Leake wrote:
> Well, just because you don't like it doesn't mean vim shouldn't
> support it. But ok, one more score for Emacs :).

My point is more why should I bother to support it in the first place
:-) But I think it shouldn't be to hard. The problem is of course
dealing with strings over one line.

> "with system.address_to_access_conversions"

in Vim for the standard library packages (and procedures and functions)
I intended to make this possible:

   with System.Add and then you should be able to hit <Tab> to complete the
   rest.

> So I never have to hit the shift key (helps avoid Carpal-Tunnel). In

Never? In my Norwegian keyboard I have to hit Shift every time I want "_"

> It helps meet style guidelines. I would never enforce the

Can you point me to where this is? I'm a bit uncertain if this is a GNAT
style guide or the Ada style guide. As I understand, Ada is not case
sensitive although I use casing myself.

> There is a file of exceptions to the normal capitalization rule, so
> things like Ada.Text_IO are done correctly (the _IO violates the
> normal rule). That's the file that should be specified in the .adp
> file.

Where can I find a copy? The Ada-mode for Emacs I have installed on
linux does not capitalize this correctly. Version: 3.5-3

--

@ 2002-11-14 14:57               ` Timo Warns
From: Timo Warns @ 2002-11-14 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol wrote:
>  Stephen Leake wrote:
>
> > "with system.address_to_access_conversions"
>
>  in Vim for the standard library packages (and procedures and functions)
>  I intended to make this possible:
>
>     with System.Add and then you should be able to hit <Tab> to complete the
>     rest.

You could add Ada support to exuberant-ctags then. Thus, other programs
would benefit as well.

> > It helps meet style guidelines. I would never enforce the
>
>  Can you point me to where this is? I'm a bit uncertain if this is a GNAT
>  style guide or the Ada style guide. As I understand, Ada is not case
>  sensitive although I use casing myself.

Have a look at
http://www.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/ifi/ps/ada-doc/\
style_guide/sec_3a.html#3.1.3

Timo

* Re: Format of .adp files?
@ 2002-11-14 15:35                 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-11-14 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Timo Warns wrote:

> You could add Ada support to exuberant-ctags then. Thus, other programs
> would benefit as well.

No, but perhaps somebody else that know C better can?

   => http://ctags.sourceforge.net/EXTENDING.html

> Have a look at
> http://www.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/ifi/ps/ada-doc/\
> style_guide/sec_3a.html#3.1.3

Thanks!

--

@ 2002-11-14 16:30           ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2002-11-14 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol <randhol+news@pvv.org> wrote:
:
:> GNAT 3.15 has a totally new project file syntax; it looks like Ada (no
:> surprise there :). You might want to wait until that becomes public.

Isn't the parsing code already in the current GCC tree?

--  georg

* Re: Format of .adp files?
@ 2002-11-14 16:46             ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-11-14 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Georg Bauhaus wrote:
> Preben Randhol <randhol+news@pvv.org> wrote:
>:
>:> GNAT 3.15 has a totally new project file syntax; it looks like Ada (no
>:> surprise there :). You might want to wait until that becomes public.
>
> Isn't the parsing code already in the current GCC tree?

I don't know, because I didn't write the above.

--

@ 2002-11-14 19:13               ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2002-11-14 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol <randhol+news@pvv.org> wrote:
:> Isn't the parsing code already in the current GCC tree?
:
: I don't know, because I didn't write the above.

Sorry. (Must have too many keys on my keyboard.
Perhaps I should switch to my everyday editor instead of
HP's vi :-)

There is a package Prj in current GNAT sources:
"--  The following package declares the data types for GNAT project.
--  These data types may be used by GNAT Project-aware tools."

-- georg

* Re: Format of .adp files?
@ 2002-11-14 21:15                 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-11-14 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Georg Bauhaus wrote:

> Sorry. (Must have too many keys on my keyboard.
> Perhaps I should switch to my everyday editor instead of
> HP's vi :-)

You should switch to Vim.

> There is a package Prj in current GNAT sources:
> "--  The following package declares the data types for GNAT project.
> --  These data types may be used by GNAT Project-aware tools."

Thanks

--

@ 2002-11-15 10:01                   ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2002-11-15 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol <randhol+news@pvv.org> wrote:
: You should switch to Vim.

Vim is nice except that the vi part is incompatible with vi.

* Re: Format of .adp files?
@ 2002-11-15 10:34                     ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-11-15 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Georg Bauhaus wrote:
> Preben Randhol <randhol+news@pvv.org> wrote:
>: You should switch to Vim.
>
> Vim is nice except that the vi part is incompatible with vi.

What do you mean? But why do you want to use the vi part?