From: "nicolas" <n.brunot@cadwin.com>
Subject: Re: Status of GCC-GNAT versus GNAT 3.14-3.15
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 10:05:43 +0200
Date: 2002-09-24T10:03:34+02:00	[thread overview]

gnat in gcc 3.3 works much better than in gcc 3.1 and 3.2, but it is still
far from gnat 3.14p
There has been a big merge in original 3.2 version, but a 3.1 branch has
been renamed 3.2, and 3.2 has been renamed 3.3

From the tests we make regularly on our code (several times a week), gnat in
gcc 3.3 works more or less fine in -O0
higher optimisation levels lead often to internal error at compilation, or
crash at runtime

I think you can forget about using gnat in gcc 3.1 and gcc 3.2.
It is not reliable at all, even in -O0, and its main purpose is to be able
to build gcc 3.3, which seems ok.
(it is not a good idea to build gcc with a different compiler for C and for
Ada)

After the big merge (about 6 monthes ago if I remember correctly), there
have been almost no modification in 3.3 for Ada sources,
except small updates, consequences of modifications which don't concern Ada,
made by non-Ada maintainers

If you are willing to build gcc 3.3 on Windows, you'll have to do that with
a Mingw environment
You will need some patches for gcc sources.
I got them from Mingw maintainers.
Windows (especially Mingw) is not a very well considered platform for gcc,
and even less as far as Ada is concerned
Some elementary patches for Mingw have never been commited in official gcc
sources after more than a year, and specific source patches are distributed
with Mingw

Things could change if there were enough people asking for that, reporting
bugs, and helping Mingw maintainers to have their patches more easily
accepted and commited

"chris.danx" <spamoff.danx@ntlworld.com> a �crit dans le message de news:
g2Ej9.70$8d4.240@news13-win.server.ntlworld.com...