* GNAT and gdb
@ 1994-12-20 14:43 Al Niessner III
From: Al Niessner III @ 1994-12-20 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does gdb work with GNAT??
I'm running GNAT 2.0 with an Os/2 system and have recently
aquired gdb.  Before I go through the installation headaches
I would like to know if it is going to work with GNAT. Any
comments on how well or if the work together at all would
be much appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Al Niessner III
Penn State University

voice:  (814) 865 0968
email:  afniii@hades.arl.psu.edu

* Re: GNAT and gdb
@ 1994-12-21  4:55 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1994-12-21  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

in general gdb works with gnat pretty well, although it needs to be taught
some Ada manners to really look nice (this is work that is under way).
Still it is very usable, it is our main tool for debugging GNAT itself.

However, the bad news is that it does not work at ALL with the current
OS/2 version of GNAT. We are planning to investigate moving to the EMX
port of GCC to host GNAT< and that should give gdb support.

* GNAT and gdb
@ 1999-01-06  0:00 Karim Naguib
From: Karim Naguib @ 1999-01-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am using gnat 3.10p on Redhat 5.1.  I installed the rpm and everything
is working fine.  But when I tried to use gdb with it, it didn't work.
Do I need some sort of patch?  I have no idea how to make gdb recognize
Ada.  Can someone please help me out?

Karim Naguib

* Re: GNAT and gdb
@ 1999-01-08  0:00 ` david.c.hoos.sr
From: david.c.hoos.sr @ 1999-01-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: knaguib

In article <36932D7C.621AA7E@aucegypt.edu>,
  knaguib@acm.org wrote:
> I am using gnat 3.10p on Redhat 5.1.  I installed the rpm and everything
> is working fine.  But when I tried to use gdb with it, it didn't work.
> Do I need some sort of patch?  I have no idea how to make gdb recognize
> Ada.  Can someone please help me out?
>
> Karim Naguib

You need to build an Ada-aware version of gdb.  These instructions are good
for most any version of UNIX.

What you do is start with the virgin gdb-4.16.tar.gz file (e.g., from
ftp://ftp.uni-duesseldorf.de/ftp/pub/gnu/gdb/gdb-4.16.tar.gz, and untar it.

Next, you need ftp://ftp.cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/gdb/gdb-4.16.gnat.1.13.diff.gz
Then you also gunzip the
gdb-4.16.gnat.1.13.diff.gz file preferably in some other
directory.

For this next step, you need the gnu version of patch to be safe.
I found that the sgi IRIX version of patch worked correctly, but the
Solaris 2.5.1 version did not, so I used gnu patch.

Next, you cd into the top-level directory created by untarring
the gdb distribution and execute the patch program with
the gdb-4.16.gnat.1.13.diff file redirected to its standard
input -- e.g.:

patch < [directory-where-diff-file-resides]/gdb-4.16.gnat.1.13.diff

This step modifies the source of gdb-4.16 in various subdirectories.

When this is done, you follow the instructions in the gdb README
file, to build gdb with the modified sources.

You also need bison to build gdb.

You can get Solaris packages for patch and bison, etc. from
the Solaris 2.5 Freeware site at http://smc.vnet.net/solaris_2.5.html
I notice just now, looking at that site, they now have gdb-4.16 source
which they didn't have when I built mine. Some users will find
that site faster than the uni-duesseldorf site.

David C. Hoos, Sr.
david.c.hoos.sr@ada95.com