From: "Ira Baxter" <idbaxter@semdesigns.com>
Subject: Re: C++ to Ada translator?
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 08:40:53 -0500
Date: 2002-09-19T08:40:53-05:00	[thread overview]

"Hyman Rosen" <hyrosen@mail.com> wrote in message
news:1032380280.239075@master.nyc.kbcfp.com...
> Ira Baxter wrote:
> > Lots of icky details invariably show up.
>
> I meant templates and multiple inheritance when I talked
> about losing the C++ nature in the translated code.

Templates if used in their full generality would be pretty hard to
translate.
Templates used simply might translate to various kinds of generics.

Multiple inheritance can be faked with delegation.  Not pretty,
but workable.

The real question for the OP is how much of the zany parts
of C++ does he use, in what kind of volume?

If there's only a little bit of the odd stuff, then the "nature"
could be preserved probably reasonably.

I'll repeat the other comment: often such translations
are politically motivated (after all, there are perfectly
good, er, usable, C++ compilers, why switch?)
If that's really the case, the output doesn't have to be
wonderful.  It only has to be not terrible.
Yes, the downstream engineers suffer.  But that
always happens when politics intervenes.

--
Ira Baxter, Ph.D. CTO Semantic Designs
www.semdesigns.com  512-250-1018