* Xlib and X11R6 bindings
@ 2002-09-12 23:42 Caffeine Junky
From: Caffeine Junky @ 2002-09-12 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Recently I've been spending some time learning to use the Xlib that comes
with XFree86(version 4.1.0).

I know theres a an Ada binding for X11R5, but I havent found one for
X11R6. I dont have a problem with importing the C libs into my Ada
program, but I was curious if there exists an Ada95 binding to X11R6. Or
if there isn't a binding, if anyone would be interested in such a thing?

Fankly, I dont find Xlib very difficult to use at all. However, it would
be much simpler for me if there was an Ada95 binding to Xlib. Nonetheless
I wouldn't go so far as creating an entirely new widget library.(There are
tons of those already. Qt, GTK/GTKAda, Athena, Motif, etc...) However I
might consider creating a few widgets at a somewhat more asbtract level
than just as a binding to Xlib so as to take advantage of some of Ada's
more useful features.(GLADE distributed objects, Protected Objects, the
Safety Annex for those who might have a use for such a thing.)

If I was just creating it for myself, I wouldn't care. But since I plan
on making it available to others(if it turns out to be of decent quality)
I'm wondering what things I should keep in mind when designing the
binding.

Of course I'm assuming that theres a need for such a thing.(I'm not aware
of any bindings to X11R6). I know about GTKAda and the QT/Ada projects,
and since I use neither GTK or QT, it would be rather pointless for me to
work on such a project.

Then again, maybe I shoul just forget about the project all together.

Any advice from the more experienced among us?

NiCad
aka Caffiene Junky

org/The Caffinated Corps

* Re: Xlib and X11R6 bindings
@ 2002-09-13  2:50 ` Jeffrey Creem
From: Jeffrey Creem @ 2002-09-13  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd forget the whole thing. I can't think of any good reason to create a new
binding to X when Gtk/Gdk/glib bindings exist. They are cleaner and are
somewhat cross plaform.

Then again..I was not too sure about the whole gwindows thing until I
actually saw it
and that turned out quite nicely....so..if you've got the time and
energy.....

"Caffeine Junky" <nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Recently I've been spending some time learning to use the Xlib that comes
> with XFree86(version 4.1.0).
>
> I know theres a an Ada binding for X11R5, but I havent found one for
> X11R6. I dont have a problem with importing the C libs into my Ada
> program, but I was curious if there exists an Ada95 binding to X11R6. Or
> if there isn't a binding, if anyone would be interested in such a thing?
>
> Fankly, I dont find Xlib very difficult to use at all. However, it would
> be much simpler for me if there was an Ada95 binding to Xlib. Nonetheless
> I wouldn't go so far as creating an entirely new widget library.(There are
> tons of those already. Qt, GTK/GTKAda, Athena, Motif, etc...) However I
> might consider creating a few widgets at a somewhat more asbtract level
> than just as a binding to Xlib so as to take advantage of some of Ada's
> more useful features.(GLADE distributed objects, Protected Objects, the
> Safety Annex for those who might have a use for such a thing.)
>
> If I was just creating it for myself, I wouldn't care. But since I plan
> on making it available to others(if it turns out to be of decent quality)
> I'm wondering what things I should keep in mind when designing the
> binding.
>
> Of course I'm assuming that theres a need for such a thing.(I'm not aware
> of any bindings to X11R6). I know about GTKAda and the QT/Ada projects,
> and since I use neither GTK or QT, it would be rather pointless for me to
> work on such a project.
>
> Then again, maybe I shoul just forget about the project all together.
>
> Any advice from the more experienced among us?
>
> NiCad
> aka Caffiene Junky
>
> org/The Caffinated Corps

* Re: Xlib and X11R6 bindings
@ 2002-09-13  4:27 ` Vadim Godunko
From: Vadim Godunko @ 2002-09-13  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

See
http://home.arcor.de/hfvogt/programming.html
This is a X11R5/R6 and Motif/OpenMotif Ada bindings.
Also I intresting to add nonexistent types/functions to this bindings.

Vadim Godunko

                      http://www.usenet.com