From: nickroberts@blueyonder.co.uk (Nick Roberts)
Subject: Re: Ada OS  : towards an Ada Micro-kernel
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 03:38:51 GMT
Date: 2002-08-31T03:38:51+00:00	[thread overview]

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002 11:47:35 +0200, OPERA <vincent.diemunsch@edf.fr>
strongly typed:

>I have seen many discussions about using a micro-kernel such as L4 as a
>foundation for a new OS for ADA. I believe this can be a great idea, I
>would like to suggest some ideas about that :
>But, for me, L4 primitives are not fully compatible with ADA
>requirements : in particular, they can't be used to implement multiple
>"select alternatives". As an example, we need new primitives
>that allow something like : Message_Accept( "list of entries").

It's funny, people keep suggesting AdaOS be based on L4, and I keep saying
that it has some serious shortcomings. It's nice to see someone actually
noticing one of these shortcomings. Well done Vincent!

>Therefore, I believe that the creation of a new micro-kernel must follow
>two steps :
>1. identify what primitives ADA needs, and their level of abstraction
>2. try to implement them efficiency on a given machine (= to make a
>micro-kernel), by
>reusing if needed existing micro-kernel such as L4 or Hurd.
>
>Any comment on this would be greatly appreciated !

Hopefully the arguments as to the microkernel basis will go away very soon.
I am about to publish my own design (called 'Bachar'), which solves the
various problems that need to be solved (including a few that neither L4
nor anyone else that I'm aware of have even addressed). More info soon.

--
Nick Roberts