From: john.nospam@nospamassen.nospamdemon.co.uk (John McCabe)
Subject: Re: Ada as a real time language
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 15:05:09 GMT
Date: 2002-08-28T15:05:09+00:00	[thread overview]

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 13:37:27 GMT, "Pat Rogers" <progers@classwide.com>
wrote:

>"John McCabe" <john.nospam@nospamassen.nospamdemon.co.uk> wrote in
>message news:3d6cce03.19310466@news.demon.co.uk...
>> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Ravenscar profile has
>> something to do with HRT systems. If you look on the web for Ada and
>> Ravenscar you might find something useful.
>
>The Ravenscar Profile is appropriate for hard real-time systems, in
>and of itself, but it is especially appropriate for systems that
>involve the kinds of analyses required for high-integrity
>applications.  As a subset of the language intended for
>safety-critical applications it is not necessarily optimal for more
>general real-time designs, although the restrictions it imposes are
>reasonable for small footprint, high performance, hard real-time
>systems.
>
>Don't get me wrong -- I'm an advocate of Ravenscar -- I'm just saying
>that Ravenscar is not the sum and total of Ada's real-time
>capabilities.  Since the OP was asking in the most general sense I
>thought it best to provide a more precise description of Ravenscar's
>domain.

That seems perfectly reasonable so thank you.

I expected to be able to find something on the Ada IC site about
Ravenscar, but it wasn't obvious from the front page where it would
be, and there doesn't appear to be a search engine so I kind of gave
up at that point (which is when I suggested the OP should look himself
:-)