* ANN: Simple Components for Ada v3.14 with SMTP client
@ 2016-06-20 17:14 Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2016-06-20 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

The new version provides an implementation of SMTP client. As other
protocols implementations provided by the library, this one is driven by
the multiple-connections server so that a single Ada task can handle
multiple connections and multiple protocols.

The implementation is asynchronous capable to send more than one mail. A
simplified synchronous (blocking) variant is provided as well.
MIME/attachments are supported. SSL/TLS is also possible in both its
variants: sessions encrypted from the start and opportunistic TLS
sessions AKA STARTTLS. The TLS support is based on GNUTLS.

http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de/ada/components.htm

Bug reports and feature requests are welcome.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: ANN: Simple Components for Ada v3.14 with SMTP client
@ 2016-06-20 17:17 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2016-06-20 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

v4.14, sorry

--

@ 2016-06-22 12:25 ` slos
From: slos @ 2016-06-22 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le lundi 20 juin 2016 19:14:41 UTC+2, Dmitry A. Kazakov a écrit :
> The new version provides an implementation of SMTP client. As other
> protocols implementations provided by the library, this one is driven by
> the multiple-connections server so that a single Ada task can handle
> multiple connections and multiple protocols.
>
> The implementation is asynchronous capable to send more than one mail. A
> simplified synchronous (blocking) variant is provided as well.
> MIME/attachments are supported. SSL/TLS is also possible in both its
> variants: sessions encrypted from the start and opportunistic TLS
> sessions AKA STARTTLS. The TLS support is based on GNUTLS.
>
> http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de/ada/components.htm
>
> Bug reports and feature requests are welcome.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Dmitry A. Kazakov
> http://www.dmitry-kazakov.de

Hello Dmitry,

That's fantastic good news, both for having this feature integrated and for the so fast integration.
Thank you very much for your not so "Simple Components".

I am playing with node-RED and IBM Bluemix at the moment and I'm pretty sure to be using your MQTT and SMTP Client features very soon from "Ada for Automation".

BR,
Stéphane
http://slo-ist.fr/ada4autom

* Re: ANN: Simple Components for Ada v3.14 with SMTP client
@ 2016-06-22 12:49   ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2016-06-22 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22/06/2016 14:25, slos wrote:

> That's fantastic good news, both for having this feature integrated
> and for the so fast integration.

It is Ada that makes things easier than in other languages. I am
frequently ranting about many missing features in Ada, but nevertheless
Ada if far better than anything else.

> Thank you very much for your not so "Simple Components".

It is fairly simple to implement new protocols in the Simple Components
framework. E.g MODBUS took one week. SMTP took longer because it is
quite poorly designed and has a load of extensions getting progressively
more cra*ed with each iteration.

> I am playing with node-RED and IBM Bluemix at the moment and I'm
> pretty sure to be using your MQTT and SMTP Client features very soon
> from "Ada for Automation".

Interesting. Maybe you will find some sense in this "technology". My
provider offers cloud space. It goes without saying that the thing just
does not work. How one manages to invent something that works worse than
FTP is beyond me.

Good luck.

--

@ 2016-06-22 13:12     ` G.B.
From: G.B. @ 2016-06-22 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22.06.16 14:49, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
> How one manages to invent something that works worse than FTP is beyond me.

There is no free implementation of FTP that allows
charging money easily, AFAICT. Also, it is easier to conduct
user research if you can persuade users to install programs
that perform functions in addition to file transfer.
These are the interesting functions. ;-)
Also, FTP is standardized and as such does not tie customers.
Using FTP or similar drops the possibility of vendor lock-in.

* Re: ANN: Simple Components for Ada v3.14 with SMTP client
@ 2016-06-22 13:20     ` G.B.
From: G.B. @ 2016-06-22 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22.06.16 14:49, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
> SMTP took longer because it is quite poorly designed and has a load of
> extensions getting progressively more cra*ed with each iteration.

To add MIME support, some good interface might be in order?
There's Basil as an example (of which I have a copy in some folder)
and the support in AWS (which is working as is, with AWS).

* Re: ANN: Simple Components for Ada v3.14 with SMTP client
@ 2016-06-22 13:37       ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2016-06-22 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22/06/2016 15:20, G.B. wrote:
> On 22.06.16 14:49, Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote:
>> SMTP took longer because it is quite poorly designed and has a load of
>> extensions getting progressively more cra*ed with each iteration.
>
> To add MIME support, some good interface might be in order?

Yes, MIME is supported. Without it SMTP is barely usable. As for
interface, it is not much at the client side. You specify a file name or
a stream object to add to the mail, plus a few headers, e.g.
Content-Type, that is.

--

@ 2016-06-24 15:49     ` slos
From: slos @ 2016-06-24 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le mercredi 22 juin 2016 14:50:16 UTC+2, Dmitry A. Kazakov a écrit :
> On 22/06/2016 14:25, slos wrote:
>
> > That's fantastic good news, both for having this feature integrated
> > and for the so fast integration.
>
> It is Ada that makes things easier than in other languages. I am
> frequently ranting about many missing features in Ada, but nevertheless
> Ada if far better than anything else.
I'm convinced. That's why "Ada for Automation" exists.

> > Thank you very much for your not so "Simple Components".
>
> It is fairly simple to implement new protocols in the Simple Components
> framework. E.g MODBUS took one week. SMTP took longer because it is
> quite poorly designed and has a load of extensions getting progressively
> more cra*ed with each iteration.
The good things about standards is that every compliant implementation should work with others.
Of course, that does not imply that they are well designed.
This is one reason why there are evolutions and versions.
Nothing comes perfect the first time it is designed.
We are poor humans.

> > I am playing with node-RED and IBM Bluemix at the moment and I'm
> > pretty sure to be using your MQTT and SMTP Client features very soon
> > from "Ada for Automation".
>
> Interesting. Maybe you will find some sense in this "technology". My
> provider offers cloud space. It goes without saying that the thing just
> does not work. How one manages to invent something that works worse than
> FTP is beyond me.
Well, first you can have a chip VM in the cloud.
http://ada4automation.slo-ist.fr:8080/
http://ada4automation.slo-ist.fr:8081/
Both are running on a VM hosted by OVH and the VM runs Debian for something around 3 Euros per month.

Then you can get some services like automatic backup, adding CPU, Memory, Disk space, bandwidth at will. Of course you have to pay for those.

And if you need some higher level services you can get some IA based ones, or sending SMS to the world or any of the ~150 services available in Bluemix.
At the moment, I have no clue of what I could do with such services but I am sure IBM sales guys will find customers for them.

The only thing I know is that openness is key to innovation.

> Good luck.
Thank you.
The same for you.