From: bishopm@source.asset.com (Michael M. Bishop)
Subject: Re: Where to buy compiler
Date: 18 Dec 1994 00:06:17 -0500
Date: 1994-12-18T00:06:17-05:00	[thread overview]

In article <3cm1d9$q2u@news1.delphi.com>, smm <smm@bix.com> wrote:
[snip]
>I happen to be a BIG NON-C LANGUAGE ADVOCATE. But with this
>sort of vendor behavior, we might as well GIVE UP. Where the
>hell is the "OLE-2 Component Design Kit" based on Eiffel,
>ADA, Common Lisp, Scheme, ML, Sather, Modula-3.  This is
>the _SWEET SPOT_ of the market place. This is the stuff
>a bunch of ex-accountants will learn so that they can go
>train MIS shops. This is the stuff that makes it to Crown
>Books book shops.  This is the stuff that crosses the desk
>of managers in their trade rags.
[snip]

Don Reifer gave a talk in Houston this past June and he mentioned that
Ada 95 bindings to OLE-2 and Windows 95 were in the works. He also
mentioned an emphasis on the part of DISA to encourage vendors to
develop relatively inexpensive Ada 95 for Windows compilers. I have no
idea how he plans to pull off that last goal as development of
Windows-based Ada compilers will only be done on a market-mandated basis
and is out of the DoD's arena. I find myself becoming increasingly
skeptical about the possibility of inexpensive Ada 95/Windows compilers
hitting the shelves any time in the near future, especially after
hearing that Meridian's OpenAda is no longer being supported. (I haven't
been reading this newsgroup as often as I used to, so I'm not sure if I
heard right and if so, exactly what happened.) OpenAda seemed to be the
closest thing we had to an affordable Ada 95/Windows compiler.
--
| Mike Bishop              | The opinions expressed here reflect    |
| bishopm@source.asset.com | those of this station, its management, |