From: Adrian Hoe <mailbox@*nospam*adrianhoe.com>
Subject: Re: [OT] On old languages (COBOL)
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 16:30:49 +0800
Date: 2002-06-11T16:30:49+08:00	[thread overview]

Preben Randhol wrote:

> I just noticed the following article on the net:
>
>    KOBOL hopes to aid Linux migration worldwide
>
>    In a recent interview, Miguel de Icaza of Ximian, Inc., spoke of an
>    issue preventing Linux adoption in many countries.
>
>    "Even today we're still using COBOL applications and we're still
>    running System/36 machines," de Icaza said, speaking of his native
>    Mexico and many other nations.
>
>    KOBOL, from theKompany.com, may make it easier for users of legacy
>    COBOL applications to move to Linux, and even to develop new COBOL
>    apps for use there.
>
>    Full story here:
>       http://linuxandmain.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=90
>
> It seems that old languages keep around for a long time.
>
> And now with Ada in gcc, GVD, GPS and Gtkada the future seems brighter
> for Ada95 IMHO.
>
> Preben

One of the reason COBOL still around is that its syntax is easily
understood by managers. Not C/C++.

How about Ada? A whole bunch of managers don't even know what's Ada
and certainly its existence. Not to mention its technical merits.
These managers I refered to are business managers.

Perhaps, if Ada were to have the COBOL-like syntax, it had already
became a legacy! ;-)
--
Remove *nospam* to email.              -- Adrian Hoe
                                        -- http://adrianhoe.com