* In search of Set/Get Variable reference tool
@ 1994-12-05  0:34 Mike Winslow
From: Mike Winslow @ 1994-12-05  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Is anyone familiar with a tool to build a table of variables used in
an Ada program, annotated with info on 1) which module(s) *write* each
variable, and (2) which module(s) *read* it??

  Ideally, this tool would run on a SPARC SunOS 4.1.3 environment, but
VMS and Solaris 2.3 are also possibilities. I have looked at the
documentation on the XREF tool bundled with GNAT, and it might provide
what I'm after (I have not actually seen the output of XREF). However,
XREF requires pretty strict naming conventions that run contrary to the
conventions used with the (large amounts of) legacy software I will need
to run this tool on. I would prefer to see if there's a better tool out
there before investing the time needed to make our software fit the
GNAT naming conventions.

  We are using the SunAda 1.1 compiler under SunOS 4.1.3. Email or
posted responses will be gratefully accepted.

Thanx much in advance.

Mike W.

  Mike Winslow
  Software Engineer
  Dayton, Ohio

  Mail:  mike_winslow@dayton.saic.com
  Phone: (513) 429-6554

* Re: In search of Set/Get Variable reference tool
@ 1994-12-06 18:36 ` Lance Kibblewhite
From: Lance Kibblewhite @ 1994-12-06 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mike Winslow (Mike_Winslow@dayton.saic.com) wrote:

[...]

Since you say VMS is a possibility, I think you will find that SCA will
do this for you, as well as many other similiar types of report.

-- Lance.

* Re: In search of Set/Get Variable reference tool
@ 1994-12-16 19:01 ` Kevin Weise
From: Kevin Weise @ 1994-12-16 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <Mike_Winslow.12.00972D50@dayton.saic.com>,
Mike Winslow <Mike_Winslow@dayton.saic.com> wrote:

>  Is anyone familiar with a tool to build a table of variables used in
>an Ada program, annotated with info on 1) which module(s) *write* each
>variable, and (2) which module(s) *read* it??
>
>  Ideally, this tool would run on a SPARC SunOS 4.1.3 environment, but
>VMS and Solaris 2.3 are also possibilities.

This particular question seems to come up on a regular basis.  I wonder
if it is in the FAQ.  Anyway, I recall using a tool called AdaQuest by
General Research Corporation out of Santa Barbara, CA.  The last contacts
I had were Chuck Hobin (Staff Scientist) and Thomas Strelich (S/W Engr
Ops); voice phone (805) 964-7724.  There were two versions of this tool,
one running under VMS and the other under DEC/Ultrix (perhaps retargeted
to generic Unix workstation?).  However, the tool worked somewhat
differently and gave somewhat different results between the two
versions.  It basically walks DIANA trees to satisfy user queries.  Since
VADS keeps its DIANA code around, the UNIX version just ran off existing
Ada libraries, meaning that you had to have compiled your code already.
Since DEC Ada doesn't keep DIANA code around, the VAX/VMS version comes
with a preprocessor to create it.  This means the VMS version is
"slower", consumes lots more disk space, and has some incompatabilities
with the DEC Ada interpretation of legal Ada code (since the front end
was actually the Intermetrics front end repackaged for VMS, a la Byron.)
I believe the only problem has to do with what operators associated with
a generic actual type parameter are visible at the point of an
instantiation. Unfortunately, I believe only the VMS version has a
Set/Use report.

That's the long answer.  For a short answer, I would check the DEC VAX
tool SCA (Source Code Analyzer).  Its built to interface with the VAX
Ada compiler, and I believe can generate a Set/Use report.

Comments, anyone from DEC or GRC? (Or Sun, or Verdix [oops, Rational]
for that matter?)

Kevin J. Weise			weisek@source.asset.com
COLSA Corporation		Voice - (205) 922-1512 ext. 2115
6726 Odyssey Drive		FAX   - (205) 971-0002
Huntsville, AL  35806
{Standard Disclaimers about my opinions & my employer's opinions}
{... which are in conflict often enough}
"Admire those who seek the truth;
  avoid those who find it."		Marcel Proust

* Re: In search of Set/Get Variable reference tool
@ 1994-12-17 17:43   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1994-12-17 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

This information is obtainable from the GNAT compiler cross-referencer