From: s_rodema@cellar.rz.uni-ulm.de (Joerg Rodemann)
Subject: Question about IO on Unix-machines
Date: 16 Dec 1994 09:58:32 GMT
Date: 1994-12-16T09:58:32+00:00	[thread overview]

Hello out there!

I am looking for a special type of IO-routines. My problem is the following:
As I am used to write many programmes that just read from stdin and write
to stdout in other languages liek C or Modula-2 I want to keep that style.
I seems very useful to me on Unix machines. But as I tried to develop a
simple program in Ada that reads a single character from stdin, does
something with this item and then writes the result to stdout, it seems
that the standard PUT-routine from Text_IO works with whole lines. Especially
it seems to ignore the character \n --- newline. I think there has to be
an easy way that fits my needs for there was an argument some time before
about that very kind of programming style under Unix as I mentioned. So,
do not be mad at me if this seems to be a silly question. But I am new to
this language and we do not have many handbooks here at Ulm.

I would like to add that I am using GNAT 1.83 on a Sun4 system. Perhaps it is
one of the procedures that have not been implemented yet as Get_Immediate.
But this is just a guess. And I would not like to bother the New York group
until it is really a problem of GNAT.

So thank in advance for your help

Bye

George

--
Joerg 'George' Rodemann                                     Kelternweg 46
Department of Physics                                     89075 Ulm/Donau