From: kdm@puppy.rational.com (Kent Mitchell)
Subject: Re: Rational releases a C++/Smalltalk tool ???
Date: 13 Dec 1994 17:28:17 GMT
Date: 1994-12-13T17:28:17+00:00	[thread overview]

Gregory Aharonian (srctran@world.std.com) wrote:

:     You can't seriously expect people to believe that Ada is better and more
: cost effective when leading Ada vendors are doing everything they can to make
: non-Ada languages as cost effective.  Case in point:

Greg ... tools like Rational Rose are only a small part of what makes a
language (actually I should say project) cost effective.  Given the
discussions we've had on the news group in the past about the values of having
a defined process and good tools to support this process as well as a
language that let's you support the system abstractions (like strong
typing, etc), I consider it general opinion that while Ada helps it is not
the end-all solution.  Given that people *are* going to use Smalltalk and C++
don't you think it is good for Rational to try to help those people over
their initial disadvantages (from the selection of those *other* languages).

:     Rational announces a new C++/Smalltalk object tool for client/server
:     development.  Rational Rose/Object Pro ...
[snip rest of advertising for RR/Object Pro]

Of course, we've had an Ada version of this same product for quite some
time so you could say that we favored Ada.

--
Kent Mitchell                   | One possible reason that things aren't
Technical Consultant            | going according to plan is .....