* Digital and Ada ?
@ 1994-12-09 16:43 Scott Leschke
From: Scott Leschke @ 1994-12-09 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

I heard a well placed Digital marketing guy say recently that DEC was
abandoning the Ada biz.

Anybody have insights on this ?

Scott Leschke
Motorola Inc.
--
Scott Leschke

* Re: Digital and Ada ?
@ 1994-12-19 20:02 CONDIC
From: CONDIC @ 1994-12-19 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Marin David Condic, 407.796.8997, M/S 731-93
Subject: Re: Digital and Ada ?
Original_To:  PROFS%"SMTP@PWAGPDB"
Original_cc:  CONDIC

GarlingtonKE@lfwc.lockheed.com Ken Garlington writes:

>Nonetheless, there is no GNAT for any VMS, and no one appears to have
>announced definite plans to build one. Therefore, I think my original
>statement is still correct - Today, if you want Ada 9X on VMS, you are
>S.O.L. (sadly out of luck).

Sad but true. Unfortunately for those of us in Government
Contracting, we can't do something this time consuming (A port of
GNAT to VAX/VMS) without a definite project willing to pay for
it. Hence, we aren't likely to pick up the job, even if we'd like
the compiler in house for education and evaluation for future
products. (Maybe the DoD should let a contract to port GNAT to a
few more platforms?)

We end up dependent on the efforts of Universities,
Entrepreneurs, and Hackers-With-Too-Much-Free-Time-On-Their-Hands
to perform these sorts of jobs, even though the Government would
clearly benefit by having the compiler in the hands of as many of
it's contractors as is possible.

If anyone knows of a port of GNAT to VAX/VMS, I'm sure those of
us who are hopelessly VAXinated would appreciate hearing about
it.

Pax,
Marin

Marin David Condic, Senior Computer Engineer    ATT:        407.796.8997
M/S 731-93                                      Technet:    796.8997
Pratt & Whitney, GESP                           Internet:   CONDICMA@PWFL.COM
P.O. Box 109600                                 Internet:   MDCONDIC@AOL.COM
West Palm Beach, FL 33410-9600
    "Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program."

        --  Milton Friedman