* Marketing Ada
@ 1994-12-11 19:56 tmoran
From: tmoran @ 1994-12-11 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Feldman remarked that many women see C as 'macho'.  That raises
the question of what are the demographic or personality similarities and
differences between current Ada and C* users.  Seems to me that any
marketing campaign should have that sort of information.

* RE: MARKETING ADA
@ 1994-12-21  7:51 Michael Hagerty
From: Michael Hagerty @ 1994-12-21  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12-19-94, Mitch Gart posted to All:

MG> There's a strain of programming that takes attitudes like:
MG> - I'd rather write it myself than get it from a subroutine library
  >   or a package written by someone else
MG> - I'd rather invent the algorithms myself than read about them
  >   in a book or an article
MG> - I'd rather write in a low level language, to get ultimate
  >   control and efficiency

And then there are those of us who would answer a most emphatic "NOT!" to
each of the above...  Although I think the third one can be accomplished
as well in Ada as the assembler or C I have seen most programmers write.

MG> .. that sort of thing.  This could be called "macho programming"
  > even though it really has nothing to do with the sex of the person
  > who is doing it.

I rather think of it as "coneheaded programming" consuming mass quantities
of time...

MG> A few years ago, around the time of "real men don't eat quiche"
  > somebody said "real programmers use macro assembler on MVS".

Ahhhh, Ed Post's excellent article on why "Real Men Don't Use Pascal"...
and I remember working on a rather large and complicated payroll program
written in FORTRAN-66...

Regards, Mikey

<michael.hagerty@nitelog.com> PGP Key available on popular servers
PGP Fingerprint = 56 12 CF A9 0E 53 A4 C4  49 F2 AF E7 F1 D3 47 5F
---
 � MR/2 #63 � FS-5 plane crashes; SimCity residents killed

* Re: Marketing Ada
@ 1994-12-13 14:19 CONDIC
From: CONDIC @ 1994-12-13 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Marin David Condic, 407.796.8997, M/S 731-93
Subject: Re: Marketing Ada
Original_To:  PROFS%"SMTP@PWAGPDB"
Original_cc:  CONDIC

Michael Feldman <mfeldman@SEAS.GWU.EDU> writes:

>If anyone in net-land is a systers member, you might ask that
>group to describe their perceptions of Ada, as a teaching language,
>and in general. The results would, I think, be very interesting.

Don't you think that there is a _slight_ possibility that the
individuals subscribing to a newsgroup called "systers" might
just be ever so slightly biased towards a particular agenda and
are, at best, a self-selected group and are thus guaranteed not
to be a random sampling of women in computer science? Is it at
all possible that some individuals in such a group might be out
there looking for "sexism" or "male domination" in almost
_anything_?

Mike, I'll say it again. It is a *BIG* mistake trying to
interject a notion that computer languages can be "sexist" or in
any way give credibility to a misperception that C or any
language is part of a "Macho" culture. It will only politicize
something which ought not be a political issue.

I'm not against depicting women as users of Ada in an interest of
broadening the audience. But let's not turn computer languages
into another battleground of "sexism" by even entertaining the
thought that it could or should be.

Pax,
Marin

Marin David Condic, Senior Computer Engineer    ATT:        407.796.8997
M/S 731-93                                      Technet:    796.8997
Pratt & Whitney, GESP                           Internet:   CONDICMA@PWFL.COM
P.O. Box 109600                                 Internet:   MDCONDIC@AOL.COM
West Palm Beach, FL 33410-9600
    "Nobody shot me."

        --  Last words of Frank Gusenberg when asked by police who
            shot him fourteen times with a machine gun in the Saint
            Valentine's Day Massacre.

* Re: Mike Feldman, meet Archie
@ 1993-03-04 23:48 enterpoop.mit.edu!usc!howland.reston.ans.net!bogus.sura.net!jhunix.hcf.jh
From: enterpoop.mit.edu!usc!howland.reston.ans.net!bogus.sura.net!jhunix.hcf.jh @ 1993-03-04 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <C3BJEx.5Gy@world.std.com> srctran@world.std.com (Gregory Aharonian)
 writes:

>   Periodically, Mike Feldman posts a list of projects using Ada.  By
>itself, the list is interesting, I guess, but without any context (in
>terms of use of other languages in projects, and comparisons by lines
>of code, year of start and end, cost ,etc) it is hard to conclude much
>from the list other than - Ada use exists.  Since we all know Ada use
>exists - what's the point.

You'd be amazed at the number of people who think that Ada is exclusively
a US DoD toy. The point for net readers, and their friends, and their
friends' friends, is that there are a number of documented projects
beyond the DoD in organizations that have chosen Ada. This knowledge,
and the growing use of Ada as a serious educational language, is intended
to strengthen the hand of those whose supervisors or colleagues resist
Ada because "nobody but DoD uses it." I'm doing what I can to create a
positive, rather than a negative, self-fulfilling prophecy.

I re-post the list whenever there are substantial changes.

Mike Feldman