From: ncohen@watson.ibm.com (Norman H. Cohen)
Subject: Re: Conformance problem in VAX Ada?
Date: 12 Dec 1994 16:10:06 GMT
Date: 1994-12-12T16:10:06+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <00988B51.1523CFA0.69@gtewd.mtv.gtegsc.com>, Dave Papay
M/S 7G32 x2791 <papayd@GTEWD.MTV.GTEGSC.COM> writes:

|> While writing some code, I accidentally put different default expressions for
|> a parameter in the declaration and body of a procedure.  Here's what it looked
|> like, except that procedure Error did some real work ;-) :
|>
|>    with Text_IO;
|>    procedure Test is
|>
|>       procedure Error (I  : in Integer := Integer'First);
|>
|>       procedure Error (I  : in Integer := Integer'Last) is
|>       begin
|>          Text_IO.Put_Line (Integer'Image (I));
|>       end Error;
|>
|>    begin
|>       Error;
|>    end Test;
|>
|> I compiled it using VAX Ada v2.3-3 under VAX/VMS v5.5-2.  The compiler didn't
|> complain
|>                  Is this a compiler problem, or am I missing something in the
|> conformace rules?

Definitely a compiler problem.  Funny thing is, I tried it on a compiler
with a quite different lineage and got the same result.  When I changed
the default value in the Error declaration from Integer'First to 0,
however, the compiler caught the mismatch.  When I changed it to
Natural'Size, the mismatch was not caught.  The compiler's strategy seems
to be, "If you've seen one attribute, you've seen them all."

--
Norman H. Cohen    ncohen@watson.ibm.com