* Re: Waay OT - America
@ 2002-03-22 23:56   ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2002-03-22 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Darren New <dnew@san.rr.com> wrote:

: Strangely enough, whenever I'm in Europe and people ask me where I'm
: from, I say "I'm from the US."

Try "United States".  Abreviatitis is not that popular in
some parts of this continent :-.

- georg

* Re: Waay OT - America
@ 2002-03-22 23:57     ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2002-03-22 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Preben Randhol <randhol+abuse@pvv.org> wrote:

:> Strangely enough, whenever I'm in Europe and people ask me where I'm
:> from, I say "I'm from the US." The answer is invariably "America, you
:
: Which United States ? ;-)

Estados Unidos, EEUU, that's pretty clear isn't it?

* Re: Waay OT - America
@ 2002-03-23  0:07   ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2002-03-23  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Darren New <dnew@san.rr.com> wrote:

: Strangely enough, whenever I'm in Europe and people ask me where I'm
: from, I say "I'm from the US."

In the light of Preben's question as to which united states
I should add that indeed there is some talk about the united
states of Europe, in these or other words. So wrt my advice in
another post to say "United States" I should probably add that
the expression might profit from a pantomimically accompanied
geographical indication :-) Ah, has it?

It's true: America here (Europe, continent) is easily understood
to mean USA; the US army was present in Europe after WW II, and
they were named Americans, even in scientific books. This seems
to have lasted.

-- georg

* Re: Waay OT - America
@ 2002-03-23  0:14       ` Georg Bauhaus
From: Georg Bauhaus @ 2002-03-23  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pat Rogers <progers@classwide.com> wrote:
:
: The English people that I know (at least some of them) would say that Europe is
: "over there", meaning "The Continent".

Strong indication of at least England not beeing part
of Europe is the term Continental Breakfast. Which OTOH
isn't always dested.

And how is Europe involved in The Commonwealth?...

-- georg

* Re: Waay OT - America
@ 2002-03-23  0:30     ` Darren New
From: Darren New @ 2002-03-23  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Georg Bauhaus wrote:
> Try "United States".  Abreviatitis is not that popular in
> some parts of this continent :-.

Well, I try "United States",  "the states", etc. The europeans *I* run
into want to hear "american". :-)

Not that this is any more OT than anything else going on. :-)

--
Darren New
      Remember, drive defensively if you drink.

* Re: Waay OT - America
@ 2002-03-23  1:55       ` Jeffrey Carter
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2002-03-23  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Georg Bauhaus wrote:

> Preben Randhol <randhol+abuse@pvv.org> wrote:
>
> :> Strangely enough, whenever I'm in Europe and people ask me where I'm
> :> from, I say "I'm from the US." The answer is invariably "America, you
> :
> : Which United States ? ;-)
>
> Estados Unidos, EEUU, that's pretty clear isn't it?

Randhol was probably referring to the many other countries that have
"United States" in their full names, such as the Mexican United States,
the United States of Brazil, and so on. You have to remember that at one
time the USA was actually admired by other countries. Mexico, Brazil,
and Australia all copied the District of Columbia idea and established
federal districts, not part of any state, to house their capital cities.

--
Jeff Carter
"I fart in your general direction."

* Re: Waay OT - America
@ 2002-03-23 12:32         ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-03-23 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 23 Mar 2002 00:14:12 +0000 (UTC), Georg Bauhaus wrote:
> Strong indication of at least England not beeing part
> of Europe is the term Continental Breakfast. Which OTOH
> isn't always dested.

Hehe. Well I find that in the countries of Europe with a great food
tradition, breakfasts are usually the worst meal of the day (if they at
all bother with it). This is a bit puzzeling to a Norwegian as breakfast
is recognised by most as a very important meal. However eating a full
English breakfast will last you all day (more or less).

> And how is Europe involved in The Commonwealth?...

Did England colonised any part of Europe?

--
Preben Randhol         �For me, Ada95 puts back the joy in programming.�

* Re: Waay OT - America
@ 2002-03-23 15:10     ` tony
From: tony @ 2002-03-23 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Georg Bauhaus wrote:

> Darren New <dnew@san.rr.com> wrote:
>
> : Strangely enough, whenever I'm in Europe and people ask me where I'm
> : from, I say "I'm from the US."
>
> In the light of Preben's question as to which united states
> I should add that indeed there is some talk about the united
> states of Europe, in these or other words. So wrt my advice in
> another post to say "United States" I should probably add that
> the expression might profit from a pantomimically accompanied
> geographical indication :-) Ah, has it?
>
> It's true: America here (Europe, continent) is easily understood
> to mean USA; the US army was present in Europe after WW II, and
> they were named Americans, even in scientific books. This seems
> to have lasted.
>
> -- georg

Well whats everybody got to say the Israeli palestinian conflict then
??????????????????????????????????????

* Re: Waay OT - America
@ 2002-03-23 15:16       ` Gary Scott
From: Gary Scott @ 2002-03-23 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

tony wrote:

> Georg Bauhaus wrote:
> >
> > Darren New <dnew@san.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> > : Strangely enough, whenever I'm in Europe and people ask me where I'm
> > : from, I say "I'm from the US."
> >
> > In the light of Preben's question as to which united states
> > I should add that indeed there is some talk about the united
> > states of Europe, in these or other words. So wrt my advice in
> > another post to say "United States" I should probably add that
> > the expression might profit from a pantomimically accompanied
> > geographical indication :-) Ah, has it?
> >
> > It's true: America here (Europe, continent) is easily understood
> > to mean USA; the US army was present in Europe after WW II, and
> > they were named Americans, even in scientific books. This seems
> > to have lasted.
> >
> > -- georg
>
> Well whats everybody got to say the Israeli palestinian conflict then
> ??????????????????????????????????????

I say that genetically speaking there's very little difference between
Israelis, Palestinians, Irish, Germans, Chinese, Finnish,
Icelanders...so why can't we all just get along.
--

Gary Scott
mailto:scottg@flash.net

mailto:webmaster@fortranlib.com
http://www.fortranlib.com

Support the GNU Fortran G95 Project:  http://g95.sourceforge.net

* Re: Waay OT - America
@ 2002-03-25  9:03           ` Jean-Pierre Rosen
From: Jean-Pierre Rosen @ 2002-03-25  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Preben Randhol" <randhol+abuse@pvv.org> a �crit dans le message news:
> Did England colonised any part of Europe?

Of course. South of France was long occupied by England (in the Middle-ages). That's why most british people *still* prefer Bordeaux
to Bourgogne....

           J-P. Rosen (rosen@adalog.fr)

* Re: Waay OT - America
@ 2002-03-25 10:17             ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-03-25 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002 10:03:51 +0100, Jean-Pierre Rosen wrote:

> "Preben Randhol" <randhol+abuse@pvv.org> a �crit dans le message news:
>> Did England colonised any part of Europe?
>>
> Of course. South of France was long occupied by England (in the
> Middle-ages). That's why most british people *still* prefer Bordeaux
> to Bourgogne....

Ah yes, but I think that was pre-Commonwealth.

Preben

* Re: Waay OT - America
@ 2002-04-02  9:42               ` Frank
From: Frank @ 2002-04-02  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > "Preben Randhol" <randhol+abuse@pvv.org> a �crit dans le message news:
> >> Did England colonised any part of Europe?

Gibraltar, South-"Spain" (don't know how it was "colonized":-)

Frank

* Re: Waay OT - America
@ 2002-04-07 20:45 Pedro Menendez
From: Pedro Menendez @ 2002-04-07 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)