From: mockturtle <framefritti@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Question about asynchronous calls
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 12:40:27 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2013-11-06T12:40:27-08:00	[thread overview]

> Asynchronous calls is for calls that do not expect a returned value (no
> functions, no out parameters). The only thing you loose is that
> exceptions raised on the server side are not transmitted.
>
> If you need a return channel, use synchronous calls. Asynchronous calls
> are an optimization: you don't wait for the result if you don't expect
> any result.

I understand and agree.  However, I was thinking about a case where you have some fairly long computation done on a remote node and the task on the local node can do something else while wait for the result.  So, it could do an asynchronous call, carry some other stuff on and then query for the result.  However, I guess that in most of the cases it would be simpler to have another task on the local node doing  the "something else" while the caller waits for the result.  In the end, it was mostly academic curiosity...

Thank you

Riccardo