From: csusb@csv.warwick.ac.uk (Jules)
Subject: Re: cross-posting and selling Ada
Date: 9 Dec 1994 13:29:40 -0000
Date: 1994-12-09T13:29:40+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <3c1p3h$jeu@gnat.cs.nyu.edu>,
	dewar@cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) writes:
>For some time now a thread has been running called "Why large companies
>don't use Ada", which has been heavily cross-posted.
>
>Many of the posts are Ada specific, and many are from people supporting
>Ada. Yet, we are all sending out a barrage of messages to multiple
>newsgroups over and over again emphasizing that large companies don't
>use Ada.
>
>I think it would be useful if at least all the posters to CLA would be
>careful with this thread. Change both the subject and the cross-list
>post to avoid sending out unintentional negative messages and annoying
>other newsgroup readers with ireelevant Ada messages.
>
>No one is forcing or asking anyone to support Ada in any way, but it seems
>worth taking the effort to avoid sending negative publicity by accident :-)
>
>If readers of C++ newsgroups etc see a long sequence of known Ada people
>sending out dozens of messages at least tacitly aggreing to the subject
>post, they are bound to assume that it is correct.
>
>Sure it is the case that not many large companies are using Ada, but it
>would sure be nice if the subject had read something like
>
>"Why aren't more large companies using Ada"
>
>or
>
>"Why don't more large companies see the benefits of Ada"
>
>or something even more neutral!

I don't really think that there is a negative message. Okay, there may be
a LOT of C programmers out there criticising strong typing, but they are
basically just showing how foolish C programmers can be.

Personally, this thread has convinced me to learn Ada, and I have just
downloaded version 2.00 of GNAT for DOS, so that I can learn it over
christmas. It certainly appears to be a better language than C++ (which is
what I was going to learn before I saw this thread in comp.programming).

--
/* Julian R Hall				csusb@csv.warwick.ac.uk

   Flames should be redirected to /dev/null - I don't know what
   I'm saying myself so don't expect it to make sense all the time!         */