* SGI Ada95 compiler
@ 2002-03-08  1:18 Adrian Hoe
From: Adrian Hoe @ 2002-03-08  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I have searched the Google's archives and found lots of threads
talking about SGI Ada95.

I am planning a project at this moment and I am thinking of getting
SGI workstation. And of course, I am going to use Ada for my project.

My understanding from those threads is that SGI has been investing a
lot into Ada95 compiler and they even make their Ada to interoperate
well with their C/C++ libraries. And I also know that Ada can inherit
classes from C++ and vice versa. And I also learned that SGI Ada95 is
a port of GNAT (or actually GNAT). Can somebody confirm this?

Is code written for SGI Ada95 compilable using other Ada compilers
especially the C++/Ada inheritance things have been added by SGI?

Is there anyone using SGI Ada95 (I bet a handful of them)? Can you
share your experience using SGI Ada95? Is there any comparison charts
(sort of) for SGI Ada95 and other Ada95 compilers?

Where can I get more information about SGI Ada95? I have visited SGI's
Ada95 website and the information is limited there.

Thanks.

                                       -- Adrian Hoe
                                       -- http://adrianhoe.com

* Re: SGI Ada95 compiler
@ 2002-03-08  9:32 ` Adrian Hoe
From: Adrian Hoe @ 2002-03-08  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

byhoe@greenlime.com (Adrian Hoe) wrote in message news:<9ff447f2.0203071718.da81223@posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
>
> I have searched the Google's archives and found lots of threads
> talking about SGI Ada95.
>
> I am planning a project at this moment and I am thinking of getting
> SGI workstation. And of course, I am going to use Ada for my project.
>
> My understanding from those threads is that SGI has been investing a
> lot into Ada95 compiler and they even make their Ada to interoperate
> well with their C/C++ libraries. And I also know that Ada can inherit
> classes from C++ and vice versa. And I also learned that SGI Ada95 is
> a port of GNAT (or actually GNAT). Can somebody confirm this?
>
> Is code written for SGI Ada95 compilable using other Ada compilers
> especially the C++/Ada inheritance things have been added by SGI?
>
> Is there anyone using SGI Ada95 (I bet a handful of them)? Can you
> share your experience using SGI Ada95? Is there any comparison charts
> (sort of) for SGI Ada95 and other Ada95 compilers?
>
> Where can I get more information about SGI Ada95? I have visited SGI's
> Ada95 website and the information is limited there.
>
> Thanks.

Is the compiler validated?

                                        -- Adrian Hoe
                                        -- http://adrianhoe.com

* Re: SGI Ada95 compiler
@ 2002-03-08  9:39 ` John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 2002-03-08  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7 Mar 2002 17:18:22 -0800, byhoe@greenlime.com (Adrian Hoe) wrote:

Adrian

In 1998 I used Ada 95 on SGI and it was, effectively, a port of GNAT
although from what I remember they had invested time in trying to make
the support tools (windows based symbolic debugger etc) work with Ada.
As usual this worked reasonably well for simple debugging, but the C
base was obvious when examining arrays and so on (i.e. it showed you
the pointer value, not the data!).

Obviously this was nearly 4 years ago now (doesn't time fly!!!) and
things may have changed, but SGI *did* seem quite interested in Ada at
the time, and I would hope that would continue.

>I have searched the Google's archives and found lots of threads
>talking about SGI Ada95.

>I am planning a project at this moment and I am thinking of getting
>SGI workstation. And of course, I am going to use Ada for my project.

At the time I was working with it the SGI website had information on
this product.

>My understanding from those threads is that SGI has been investing a
>lot into Ada95 compiler and they even make their Ada to interoperate
>well with their C/C++ libraries. And I also know that Ada can inherit
>classes from C++ and vice versa. And I also learned that SGI Ada95 is
>a port of GNAT (or actually GNAT). Can somebody confirm this?

I didn't have any major problems interfacing with the C socket
libraries, or directly to POSIX calls, but that should be expected
with an Ada 95 compiler that supports that kind of stuff.

>Is code written for SGI Ada95 compilable using other Ada compilers
>especially the C++/Ada inheritance things have been added by SGI?

First I've heard of being able to inherit from C++ classes - that
would be interesting! Anything written purely in Ada 95 *should* be
compilable by other Ada 95 compilers - it *is* a standard after all
(although it would obviously depend on the supported annexes)!

>Is there anyone using SGI Ada95 (I bet a handful of them)? Can you
>share your experience using SGI Ada95? Is there any comparison charts
>(sort of) for SGI Ada95 and other Ada95 compilers?

My experiences are mentioned above - but take them with a pinch of
salt as it was some time ago.

>Where can I get more information about SGI Ada95? I have visited SGI's
>Ada95 website and the information is limited there.

Ah! Perhaps they're not so interested anymore? If you look at
www.gnat.com and put SGI in the search box, it comes up with:

http://www.gnat.com/texts/products/prod_platforms.old

as one of the results. SGI IRIX 6.5 is listed there but, as you can
see, this is the 'prod_platforms.old' file - you'd have to check with
ACT whether this just means they haven't produced the latest version
for IRIX or they're not going to, or it's distributed through other
channels (e.g. SGI direct).

Hope this helps - sorry if my info's a bit out of date, but I could
probably found out if the people I was working with at the time are
still using Ada95 on SGI, and if it's ever been updated if you really
want.

* Re: SGI Ada95 compiler
@ 2002-03-08 11:07   ` Gerald Kasner
From: Gerald Kasner @ 2002-03-08 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > I have searched the Google's archives and found lots of threads
> > talking about SGI Ada95.
> >
> > I am planning a project at this moment and I am thinking of getting
> > SGI workstation. And of course, I am going to use Ada for my project.
> >
> > My understanding from those threads is that SGI has been investing a
> > lot into Ada95 compiler and they even make their Ada to interoperate
> > well with their C/C++ libraries. And I also know that Ada can inherit
> > classes from C++ and vice versa. And I also learned that SGI Ada95 is
> > a port of GNAT (or actually GNAT). Can somebody confirm this?

Yes, it's GNAT. The packages are called gnat_dev.

> > Is code written for SGI Ada95 compilable using other Ada compilers
> > especially the C++/Ada inheritance things have been added by SGI?

Sorry, I never interfaced with C++.

> > Is there anyone using SGI Ada95 (I bet a handful of them)? Can you
> > share your experience using SGI Ada95? Is there any comparison charts
> > (sort of) for SGI Ada95 and other Ada95 compilers?

Never found that.

> > Where can I get more information about SGI Ada95? I have visited SGI's
> > Ada95 website and the information is limited there.

go to

http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi-bin/search.cgi

then search for "gnat_dev"

You will find the documentation for SGI-Ada 1.4.2

> > Thanks.
>
> Is the compiler validated?

No. According to the documentation on the web, there are
problems with tasking.

>                                         -- Adrian Hoe
>                                         -- http://adrianhoe.com

* Re: SGI Ada95 compiler
@ 2002-03-08 12:47   ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 2002-03-08 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3c8882ef.1896456@news.demon.co.uk>, john.mccabe@emrad.ns.com (John McCabe) writes:
> On 7 Mar 2002 17:18:22 -0800, byhoe@greenlime.com (Adrian Hoe) wrote:

>>Is code written for SGI Ada95 compilable using other Ada compilers
>>especially the C++/Ada inheritance things have been added by SGI?
>
> First I've heard of being able to inherit from C++ classes - that
> would be interesting! Anything written purely in Ada 95 *should* be
> compilable by other Ada 95 compilers - it *is* a standard after all
> (although it would obviously depend on the supported annexes)!

There are only three external languages in those annexes, and C++
is not one of them.   From a user perspective the syntax for
external language interfaces may seem easy, but depending on
the platform implementing it might be more difficult.  To some
extent GNAT has an easier time of that because they can say that
GNU C (for instance) is the one with which they are compatible
on multiple platforms.