From: cosby@greatwall.cctt.com (John Cosby)
Subject: Re: Is DoD simulation ignoring using Ada?????
Date: 8 Dec 1994 22:03:12 GMT
Date: 1994-12-08T22:03:12+00:00	[thread overview]

srctran@world.std.com (Gregory Aharonian) writes:
>      To what extent are DoD modelling and simulation efforts being encouraged
> to do their work in Ada?  Based on general DoD behavior in the past, probably
> not much, and based on studies of DoD simulation publications, apparently not
> much.
<snip>

abg@sei.cmu.edu (Anthony Gargaro) writes:
> Here are two data points that you may find helpful.
>
> The U.S. Army Simulation, Training, and Instrumentation Command (STRICOM)
> WARFIGHTERS' Simulation (WARSIM) 2000 procurement requires the use of Ada 9X
> (ISO 8652:1995).
>
> The U.S. Air Force Aeronautical Systems Center for Simulations and Trainers
> (ASC/YT) Structural Modeling Guidebook exemplars all use Ada.

Another data point... the Close Combat Tactical Trainer (CCTT), the first of
the Combined Arms Tactical Trainer (CATT) family of simulation systems, is well
along in development here in Orlando.  This project's software components are
written in Ada; it is the foundation of a new set of simulation systems, and
will begin replacing the currently deployed SIMNET systems sometime in late
'95 or early '96.  Everything from device interfaces to the X/Motif user
interfaces (my area) is developed in Ada; I think we might have had to write a
bit of C for a callback mechanism, but it's packaged inside an Ada wrapper.

This is a STRICOM development, like WARSIM 2000; unlike WARSIM, which
should be awarded soon (and will be in Ada9x--lucky dogs!), CCTT has been in
progress for a couple of years now.

helliott@losat.redstone.army.mil (Doc Elliott) writes:
>First of all, based on previous posts here in CLA, there
>are no tools available to support Ada bindings to the DIS protocol (yet?).
<snip>
>BTW, anybody out there want a viable product to work on?  Build a robust set
>of Ada tools for DIS interface, and you probably got a long term business
>proposition.  I just wish I could afford a Windows Ada compiler...

Wait 'till we deliver, then ask STRICOM.  We've developed quite a bit of Ada
DIS material, from simple network PDU generation code to event-driven DIS
entity databases, and we're really wringing out everything we develop.
---
John Cosby - CCTT Semi-Automated Forces Team - cosby@greatwall.cctt.com
 No commercial intended, I just thought some of the disinformation should
 be answered.
 with Standard_Disclaimer; use Standard_Disclaimer;