* How many Ada programmers does it take to change a light bulb?
@ 2002-02-10 23:55 Gavin Small
From: Gavin Small @ 2002-02-10 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Help!
I'm new to this conference.  I've bought an ADA book, for those of you
interested it is called,'Ada 95 from the beginning by SKANSHOLM'

Now all I need is a compiler? or interpreter? (pref. free)
Some nice fellow please direct me!
Zorrow@qed246.freeserve.co.uk

* Re: How many Ada programmers does it take to change a light bulb?
@ 2002-02-11  2:16 ` Jeffrey Carter
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jeffrey Carter @ 2002-02-11  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gavin Small wrote:

> Now all I need is a compiler? or interpreter? (pref. free)

None. Ada is used by software engineers, not programmers.

One free Ada compiler is GNAT, available from

ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/

The most recent free version is 3.14p. Other vendors supply free
evaluation/student versions of their compilers, also.

--
Jeff Carter
"I blow my nose on you."

* Re: How many Ada programmers does it take to change a light bulb?
@ 2002-02-11 10:45   ` John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 2002-02-11 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002 02:16:41 GMT, Jeffrey Carter <jrcarter@acm.org>
wrote:

>Gavin Small wrote:
>>
>> Now all I need is a compiler? or interpreter? (pref. free)
>
>None. Ada is used by software engineers, not programmers.
>
>One free Ada compiler is GNAT, available from
>
>ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/
>
>The most recent free version is 3.14p. Other vendors supply free
>evaluation/student versions of their compilers, also.

As you would know if you'd bothered to carry out a search on Google
groups. See
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=free%20compiler&as_ugroup=comp.lang.ada&lr=lang_en&as_drrb=b&as_mind=12&as_minm=5&as_miny=2000&as_maxd=11&as_maxm=2&as_maxy=2002&hl=en

* Re: How many Ada programmers does it take to change a light bulb?
@ 2002-02-11 12:42     ` Marc A. Criley
From: Marc A. Criley @ 2002-02-11 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

John McCabe wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Feb 2002 02:16:41 GMT, Jeffrey Carter <jrcarter@acm.org>
> wrote:
>
> >Gavin Small wrote:
> >>
> >> Now all I need is a compiler? or interpreter? (pref. free)
> >
> >None. Ada is used by software engineers, not programmers.
> >
> >One free Ada compiler is GNAT, available from
> >
> >ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/
> >
> >The most recent free version is 3.14p. Other vendors supply free
> >evaluation/student versions of their compilers, also.
>
> As you would know if you'd bothered to carry out a search on Google
> groups. See
> http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=free%20compiler&as_ugroup=comp.lang.ada&lr=lang_en&as_drrb=b&as_mind=12&as_minm=5&as_miny=2000&as_maxd=11&as_maxm=2&as_maxy=2002&hl=en

Hey y'all!  Lighten up!  Being snitty is hardly the way to endear a new
Ada programmer to the language or this news group!  Sheesh!

Gavin, if you're running Linux, there are ready-to-go RPMs for GNAT and
associated development tools at www.gnuada.org.

Marc A. Criley
Consultant
Quadrus Corporation
www.quadruscorp.com

* Re: How many Ada programmers does it take to change a light bulb?
@ 2002-02-11 13:40 ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2002-02-11 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 10 Feb 2002 23:55:36 -0000, Gavin Small wrote:
> Help!
> I'm new to this conference.  I've bought an ADA book, for those of you
> interested it is called,'Ada 95 from the beginning by SKANSHOLM'

The language is called Ada as it is a name (not ADA).

> Now all I need is a compiler? or interpreter? (pref. free)

You don't say what OS you want to use, but go to www.adapower.net. You
will find a lot of information there.

--
Preben Randhol         �For me, Ada95 puts back the joy in programming.�

* Re: How many Ada programmers does it take to change a light bulb?
@ 2002-02-11 14:45       ` Marin David Condic
From: Marin David Condic @ 2002-02-11 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Good point, Marc. We ought to be patient with the newbies as we were all
once newbies ourselves - and it helps make Ada a better experience for the
newbies if we can be as helpful as possible.

In case nobody else mentions it, the best place to start looking for
resources relating to Ada programming is: http://www.adapower.com/ You can
find books, compilers, tutorials, source code, important links, etc there
that will help you get started with Ada. Generally, you can find help with
specific programming problems here so long as you are not trying to get
someone to do your homework and you post a question that is specific enough
to be readily addressed. (A small code example, the software/hardware
platform you're working with, the compiler/version you're using, etc.)

Good luck!

MDC
--
Marin David Condic
Senior Software Engineer

@ 2002-02-11 15:13       ` John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 2002-02-11 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002 12:42:38 GMT, "Marc A. Criley"
<mcqada95@earthlink.net> wrote:

>John McCabe wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 11 Feb 2002 02:16:41 GMT, Jeffrey Carter <jrcarter@acm.org>
>> wrote:

>> >None. Ada is used by software engineers, not programmers.
>> >
>> >One free Ada compiler is GNAT, available from
>> >
>> >ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat/
>> >
>> >The most recent free version is 3.14p. Other vendors supply free
>> >evaluation/student versions of their compilers, also.
>>
>> As you would know if you'd bothered to carry out a search on Google
>> groups. See
>> http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=free%20compiler&as_ugroup=comp.lang.ada&lr=lang_en&as_drrb=b&as_mind=12&as_minm=5&as_miny=2000&as_maxd=11&as_maxm=2&as_maxy=2002&hl=en
>
>Hey y'all!  Lighten up!  Being snitty is hardly the way to endear a new
>Ada programmer to the language or this news group!  Sheesh!

So just how many times have you answered this question? Wouldn't you
prefer it if (given that you've answered it so many times in the past)
you didn't have to answer it again?

If the OP didn't know about Google Groups, then they do now so at
least I've been informative. If they did know about Google Groups then
they should have checked for what is most definitely a FAQ!

* Re: How many Ada programmers does it take to change a light bulb?
@ 2002-02-11 19:07         ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2002-02-11 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

john.mccabe@emrad.ns.com (John McCabe) writes:

> If the OP didn't know about Google Groups, then they do now so at
> least I've been informative. If they did know about Google Groups then
> they should have checked for what is most definitely a FAQ!

Well and if nobody answer this question from time to time the Goodle Groups
answer would be:

  You can use the latest GNAT compiler from Nov 1998 - bleeding edge
  technologie that is under active developement. Be sure to also check
  the Ada Home web site for recent information.

A search is a search and only retreive what as been said :)

Pascal.

--|

* Re: How many Ada programmers does it take to change a light bulb?
@ 2002-02-12  2:24           ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2002-02-12  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pascal Obry <p.obry@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message news:<uit93u9a0.fsf@wanadoo.fr>...
> john.mccabe@emrad.ns.com (John McCabe) writes:
> A search is a search and only retreive what as been said :)
>
> Pascal.

And it is indeed the case that a search for Ada 95 yields
adahome at the top, which is too bad since as far as I know
this site is completely unmaintained apart from being kept
around and getting more and more obsolete.

If I am wrong, and adahome has jumped back into active
maintenance status, then I apologize and welcome the news,
but in that case the maintainers have a LOT of catching
up work to do.

* Re: How many Ada programmers does it take to change a light bulb?
@ 2002-02-12  4:32             ` Eric Merritt
From: Eric Merritt @ 2002-02-12  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Who were the original maintainers? Is it possible to
contact them and perhaps give maintenance over to some
other voluteers? Its the first site that comes up in
just about any search.

--- Robert Dewar <dewar@gnat.com> wrote:
> Pascal Obry <p.obry@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message
> > john.mccabe@emrad.ns.com (John McCabe) writes:
> > A search is a search and only retreive what as
> been said :)
> >
> > Pascal.
>

> And it is indeed the case that a search for Ada 95
> yields
> adahome at the top, which is too bad since as far as
> I know
> this site is completely unmaintained apart from
> being kept
> around and getting more and more obsolete.
>
> If I am wrong, and adahome has jumped back into
> active
> maintenance status, then I apologize and welcome the
> news,
> but in that case the maintainers have a LOT of
> catching
> up work to do.
http://greetings.yahoo.com

* Re: How many Ada programmers does it take to change a light bulb?
@ 2002-02-12 10:56             ` John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 2002-02-12 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11 Feb 2002 18:24:43 -0800, dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar) wrote:

>And it is indeed the case that a search for Ada 95 yields
>adahome at the top,

On Google Groups? I don't think so!

* Re: How many Ada programmers does it take to change a light bulb?
@ 2002-02-12 11:06           ` John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 2002-02-12 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11 Feb 2002 20:07:51 +0100, Pascal Obry <p.obry@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

>Well and if nobody answer this question from time to time the Goodle Groups
>answer would be:

>  You can use the latest GNAT compiler from Nov 1998 - bleeding edge
>  technologie that is under active developement. Be sure to also check
>  the Ada Home web site for recent information.

As you are no doubt aware, GNAT has been available at
ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat for a very long time now, so the fact that
someone suggested looking there for a November 1998 release is
probably still fairly valid. Besides, what version of GNAT was current
in 1998? Is it *so* much different from now? Doesn't the newsgroup
have a FAQ that could be referred to?

I have to admit I was in the same position when I started using
newsgroups - I had no idea there was somewhere you could look to see
what had already been posted (DejaNews then), but that was 8 years or
so ago and there were not that many references in magazines and
suchlike to useful sites.

Anyway - I don't really want to continue this as an argument - it's
just that I've spent the last few weeks seeing newsgroup articles
asking exactly the same question I asked only 3 or 4 weeks before and
I'm a bit frustrated.

So I'm sorry - OK?

Slainthe
John

* Re: How many Ada programmers does it take to change a light bulb?
@ 2002-02-12 12:21 ` John English
From: John English @ 2002-02-12 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gavin Small wrote:

> Help!
> I'm new to this conference.  I've bought an ADA book, for those of you
> interested it is called,'Ada 95 from the beginning by SKANSHOLM'
>
> Now all I need is a compiler? or interpreter? (pref. free)
> Some nice fellow please direct me!

You might find it worthwhile looking here:
  http://burks.bton.ac.uk/burks/language/ada/.
There's a selection of compilers, development tools, useful packages,
tutorials and reference material all in one place, and links to
where they originally came from.

 Senior Lecturer           | http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je
 Dept. of Computing        | ** NON-PROFIT CD FOR CS STUDENTS **
 University of Brighton    |    -- see http://burks.bton.ac.uk

* Re: How many Ada programmers does it take to change a light bulb?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-02-14  0:32 ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2002-02-14  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Q: How many Ada programmers does it take to change a light bulb?

A: About half as many as the number of C++ programmers required.
Furthermore, the bulb tends to last much longer before needing to be
changed again. Also, it's almost unheard of for the bulb not to fit the
socket.

;-)

--
Nick Roberts

* Re: How many Ada programmers does it take to change a light bulb?
@ 2002-02-14 20:04   ` Hyman Rosen
From: Hyman Rosen @ 2002-02-14 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nick Roberts wrote:
> Q: How many Ada programmers does it take to change a light bulb?
>
> A: About half as many as the number of C++ programmers required.
> Furthermore, the bulb tends to last much longer before needing to be
> changed again. Also, it's almost unheard of for the bulb not to fit the
> socket.

But it requires a power saw to open up the container so that
you can take the light bulb out. Then the discarded packing
material fills up your whole trash bin. :-)

* Re: How many Ada programmers does it take to change a light bulb?
@ 2002-02-16 14:38               ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 2002-02-16 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

john.mccabe@emrad.ns.com (John McCabe) wrote in message news:<3c68f464.8228081@news.demon.co.uk>...
> On 11 Feb 2002 18:24:43 -0800, dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar) wrote:
>
> >And it is indeed the case that a search for Ada 95
> >yields adahome at the top,
>
> On Google Groups? I don't think so!

Well if you search the usenet groups, of course not, but
if you use Google to search the web, then a search for
Ada95 (no space) puts Adahome at the top, and a search for
Ada 95 (with a space) puts Adahome second, right after the
Ada 95 reference manual. I just repeated these two searches
a moment ago, and repeated these results.

* Re: How many Ada programmers does it take to change a light bulb?
@ 2002-02-16 14:55                 ` Florian Weimer
                                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Florian Weimer @ 2002-02-16 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar) writes:

> Well if you search the usenet groups, of course not, but
> if you use Google to search the web, then a search for
> Ada95 (no space) puts Adahome at the top, and a search for
> Ada 95 (with a space) puts Adahome second, right after the
> Ada 95 reference manual. I just repeated these two searches
> a moment ago, and repeated these results.

The Ada95 rating is probably caused by the ncurses documentation,
which is in wide circulation:

| J�rgen Pfeifer wrote all of the menu and forms code as well as the
| Ada95 binding.

And "Ada95" is a link to AdaHome.  I'm filing a bug report right now.

* Re: How many Ada programmers does it take to change a light bulb?
@ 2002-02-18  6:31                 ` Anders Wirzenius
From: Anders Wirzenius @ 2002-02-18  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar wrote in message
<5ee5b646.0202160638.4e6326ab@posting.google.com>...
>if you use Google to search the web, then a search for
>Ada95 (no space) puts Adahome at the top, and a search for
>Ada 95 (with a space) puts Adahome second, right after the
>Ada 95 reference manual. I just repeated these two searches
>a moment ago, and repeated these results.

The search engines use keywords given in the meta data tag. My experience is
that one can, at least to a certain degree, affect the position on search
lists by using the tag <meta name="keywords">

I could not get the source code of
http://www.Adapower.com/main_page_file_name (index.html?), but at least the
file
body.html has
   <META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="AdaPower power Ada source code free
treasury repository">
in line 5.
I think the syntax should be like CONTENT="Ada, Ada95, Ada 95"

http://www.adahome.com/main_page_file_name includes
software engineering, realtime, Lovelace">

2 cents
Anders Wirzenius
counting cents nowadays

* Re: How many Ada programmers does it take to change a light bulb?
@ 2002-02-18 10:31                 ` John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 2002-02-18 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 16 Feb 2002 06:38:33 -0800, dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar) wrote:

>john.mccabe@emrad.ns.com (John McCabe) wrote in message news:<3c68f464.8228081@news.demon.co.uk>...
>> On 11 Feb 2002 18:24:43 -0800, dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar) wrote:
>>
>> >And it is indeed the case that a search for Ada 95
>> >yields adahome at the top,
>>
>> On Google Groups? I don't think so!
>

>Well if you search the usenet groups, of course not,

Well if you read what I said in the first place, you'll see I
suggested Google Groups, so why waste everyone's time by not replying
to messages you haven't read properly?

@ 2002-02-18 11:35                 ` John McCabe
From: John McCabe @ 2002-02-18 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 16 Feb 2002 06:38:33 -0800, dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar) wrote:

>john.mccabe@emrad.ns.com (John McCabe) wrote in message news:<3c68f464.8228081@news.demon.co.uk>...
>> On 11 Feb 2002 18:24:43 -0800, dewar@gnat.com (Robert Dewar) wrote:
>>
>> >And it is indeed the case that a search for Ada 95
>> >yields adahome at the top,
>>
>> On Google Groups? I don't think so!
>

>Well if you search the usenet groups, of course not,

Well if you read what I said in the first place, you'll see I
suggested Google Groups, so why waste everyone's time by replying to
messages you haven't read properly?