From: dweller@Starbase.NeoSoft.COM (David Weller)
Subject: Re: Where to buy compiler
Date: 7 Dec 1994 14:09:45 -0600
Date: 1994-12-07T14:09:45-06:00	[thread overview]

In article <3c27rn$mf4@mark.ucdavis.edu>,
Mothers Lock Up Your Sons <alabasca@fajita.engr.ucdavis.edu> wrote:
>Thanks for all your suggestions it looks like what I want is the Merdian
>compiler.  (anyone with lots of info on it feel free to send me it)
>THe question is where can I buy this compiler?  I checked half the
>computer stores in California and no one has it.  Thanks in advance
>Jo

Getting shelf space for an Ada compiler is next to impossible.  Hell,
even finding Smalltalk on the shelf is difficult.  Alas, there's even
worse news.  I've heard from the grapevine that Meridian (who was
bought by Verdix, who was then bought by Rational, which means
Meridian is part of Rational SOftware Corp now) was going to stop
marketing/supporting OpenAda, the low-cost PC compiler.  There may be
some very good reasons for this, but I've yet to see an announcement
(or even a denial).  In any case, the chance of a "low cost" compiler
for the PCs does't look very promising (All you vendors: Don't follow
up to this post and say "We think $999 is low cost for a PC" :-).
You might find something from RR Software for a decent cost.  The
presence of the GNAT compiler is generally countermotivating for the
current vendors.

In any case, my strongest suggestion is to call Delphi, get an
account for a month (that'll set you back $10), and ftp the GNAT
compiler.

--
Proud (and vocal) member of Team Ada! (and Team OS/2)        ||This is not your
   	      Ada -- Very Cool.  Doesn't Suck.               ||  father's Ada