From: heiser@bu.edu (Bill Heiser)
Subject: Re: Using procedures
Date: 6 Dec 1994 18:59:32 GMT
Date: 1994-12-06T18:59:32+00:00	[thread overview]

Bennett, Chip (KTR) ~U (BennettC@J64.STRATCOM.AF.MIL) wrote:

: Bill, your question shows you either haven't read the book, or you're not
: listening in class, so I'll be brief and leave "the proof as an exercise"

Neither of your accusations is correct.  I spent nearly an entire day
poring over the textbook, and did not find a reference to using
multiple procedures together.  There was lots of talk about individual
procedures, but nothing concerning this particular situation.

: But this brings up a bigger point that is the real reason I bother to post
: this.  I want to promote Ada, but I question whether doing a students
: homework is going too far.  Comments?

I didn't notice anyone asking anyone to "do a student's homework".
Did you?  Sorry if you interpreted the question that way.  I see
nothing wrong with going to the net asking for help on how to
approach a problem.  There's no difference between doing that
and going to a fellow student or the professor.  The only difference
is that I see the professor for 3 hours per week, whereas
the net is here 24x7.  Furthermore the whole point to homework is
to help the student learn the material.  It's not an exam!

--
Bill Heiser    heiser@acs.bu.edu, heiser@world.std.com
               Boston University, Boston MA