From: "Dan'l Miller" <optikos@verizon.net>
Subject: GMGPL for Ada('s generics) but not for C++('s templates)
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2018 14:40:38 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2018-04-13T14:40:38-07:00	[thread overview]

Please pardon me if this has been discussed ad infinitum before.  (I would appreciate reading those prior discussions if anyone can find them easier than my fruitless searches on this specific narrow topic.)  But one aspect of the GMGPL being peculiar to Ada has always mystified me.

If FSF Ada in the GCC needs GMGPL due to Ada's generics, then why doesn't FSF C++ in the GCC need a GMGPL for C++'s templates?  It would seem what is sauce for cooking the goose would be the same sauce for cooking the gander.

(By “needs” here, I am of course referring to the licensing needs of a nonGPLed app that merely happens to be written in Ada or in C++ and compiled by a compiler in the GCC.  Of course, GPLed apps would have no such “need”, other than perhaps for the app to choose GPLv2 instead of the GCC's GPLv3.)