* Modula-2 to Ada translator??
@ 1994-12-06  0:54 Tom Perrine
From: Tom Perrine @ 1994-12-06  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone know of any Modula-2 to Ada source translators?

I have 30,000+ lines of an experimental operating system that
I'd like to start working on again, but I want to use Ada, instead of the
Modula-2 that it is currently written in.

Thanks!

--
Tom E. Perrine (tep@SDSC.EDU)  | Voice: +1 619 534-8328
San Diego Supercomputer Center |   FAX: +1 619 534-5152

* Re: Modula-2 to Ada translator??
@ 1994-12-06 10:10 ` Job Honig
From: Job Honig @ 1994-12-06 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tom,

> Does anyone know of any Modula-2 to Ada source translators?
>
> I have 30,000+ lines of an experimental operating system that
> I'd like to start working on again, but I want to use Ada, instead of the
> Modula-2 that it is currently written in.

Probably not the answer you like to hear, but my advice would be to redesign
the code, employing your knowledge of the current system, of course. I have
done this twice, once for Coco, a parser generator for LALR left attributed
grammars, and once for Flex, the well known scanner generator. Both attempts
revealed errors in the original software, that were uncovered by designing
the new system using the higher abstraction level allowed by Ada...

So I would support your requirements analysis (transition to Ada), but not
your proposed implementation (using an source code translator).

Regards,

Job Honig
Delft University of Technology

* Re: Modula-2 to Ada translator??
@ 1994-12-07 12:15 ` WLawton
From: WLawton @ 1994-12-07 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3c0cnu$rdu@gopher.sdsc.edu>, tep@galt.sdsc.edu (Tom Perrine)
writes:

>Does anyone know of any Modula-2 to Ada source translators?
>
>I have 30,000+ lines of an experimental operating system that
>I'd like to start working on again, but I want to use Ada, instead of the
>Modula-2 that it is currently written in.

The Idaho National Engineering Laboratory (INEL), a Dept of Energy Lab has
a basic capability for modula-2 to Ada-83.  The tool is "research grade"
quality, but may provide a starting point for what you need.  This is the
same group of people who brought you AdaSAGE.  Give them a ring at (208)
526-0656.  This is an answer desk hotline in the section that wrote the
tool.

If you are looking for commercial quality, I wish you the best of luck.
If you just need something to perform 80% of the grunt code translation, I
think this might meet your needs.  I know of two systems comprising about
250,000 lines of code that were originally developed inModula-2 then
translated and cleaned up inAda 83 after Alsys 1.0 for the PC came out
back in 1987.(plus or minus)

Hope this helps

Wayne R. Lawton
Lawton Software, Inc.