From: tanmoy@qcd.lanl.gov (Tanmoy Bhattacharya)
Subject: Re: Filename comparison ... HELP NEEDED!
Date: 2 Dec 1994 16:53:36 GMT
Date: 1994-12-02T16:53:36+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <3bn13h$jmo@speedy.cci.de>, jewell@cci.de (Nigel Jewell) writes:
|> Hi,
|>
|> I apologise if this is irrelevant to any groups posted to, but I want as many
|> ideas/solutions as possible

You are gravely mistaken if you think your apologies are enough compensation
for wasting many people's time all over the world simply becuase you `wanted'
as many ideas/solution. Most of the net is not for whining children. Please do not
post to irrelevant newgroups. Refrain from posting if you have no idea of
netiquette.

What you asked has nothing to do with C or Ada or miscellaneous languages. It is
a UNIX question and as such is appropriate only there.

<snip>
|> Does anybody know of an good solution to seeing if two filenames given actually
|> point at the same file in the file system?  (Probably a solution in C).

Understand the difference between programming and coding. What you are asking for
is a `programming' and `binding' question, not a coding question. Language is
mostly irrelevant to this question.

In any case keeping track of files by there beginning inode numbers is much
easier than by their names.

Cheers
Tanmoy
--
tanmoy@qcd.lanl.gov(128.165.23.46) DECNET: BETA::"tanmoy@lanl.gov"(1.218=1242)
Tanmoy Bhattacharya O:T-8(MS B285)LANL,NM87544-0285,USA H:#3,802,9 St,NM87545