* Alsys ActiveAda Compiler
@ 1994-11-29 15:53 Chris Gentle
From: Chris Gentle @ 1994-11-29 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is anyone out there using the new Alsys ActiveAda 32-bit compiler for Windows?
The project I'm working on just got a copy and we've already found problems.
We have Ada code interfacing to several C modules.  However, the compiler will
not link the object files output by our various C compilers (Visual C++ 1.5,
Borland C++ 4.02).

If anyone else is having this problem, let me know.  I can send more details
about the problem then.  Don't want to clutter up the message if no one else is
using the compiler.

Thanks,

Chris
gentlec@ifte.sed.redstone.army.mil

* Re: Alsys ActiveAda Compiler
@ 1994-11-30 20:15 John Lo
From: John Lo @ 1994-11-30 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chris Gentle <gentlec@ifte.sed.redstone.army.mil> writes:

>Is anyone out there using the new Alsys ActiveAda 32-bit compiler for Windows?
>The project I'm working on just got a copy and we've already found problems.
>We have Ada code interfacing to several C modules.  However, the compiler will
>not link the object files output by our various C compilers (Visual C++ 1.5,
>Borland C++ 4.02).
>
>If anyone else is having this problem, let me know.  I can send more details
>about the problem then.  Don't want to clutter up the message if no one else is
>using the compiler.
>
>Thanks,
>

>Chris
>gentlec@ifte.sed.redstone.army.mil

The ActivAda release note does specify which specific C compiler you can
interface to. If you are building a DOS program, you need to use the MetaWare
High C/C++ V3.x for DOS. If you are building a Windows (Win32s) program, you
need to use the Microsoft Visual C++ 32-bit edition. Interface to Borland C++
is not supported. Visual C++ 1.5 is a 16-bit compiler and therefore would not
work either.

John

* Re: Alsys ActiveAda Compiler
@ 1994-12-01  2:40 ` larry01
From: larry01 @ 1994-12-01  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <1994Nov29.152259.8905@lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu>, Chris Gentle <gentlec@ifte.sed.redstone.army.mil> writes:

>Is anyone out there using the new Alsys ActiveAda 32-bit compiler for Windows?
>The project I'm working on just got a copy and we've already found problems.
>We have Ada code interfacing to several C modules.  However, the compiler will
>not link the object files output by our various C compilers (Visual C++ 1.5,
>Borland C++ 4.02).
>
>If anyone else is having this problem, let me know.  I can send more details
>about the problem then.  Don't want to clutter up the message if no one else is
>using the compiler.

We have been playing with this compilier for just a short amount of time.  We teach
Ada, but strictly with what the LRM dictates.  Windows programming is new to us, but
the few short programs we have written seem to be fine.

Here is something else that I've found with the Meridian OpenAda for Windows
package:  I tried to get it to link with Borland C++ 4.0 routines and it would not do it.
According to Rational (Meridian) it will only link with Borland 3.0.  You way want to
try and older version also.

Larry

larry01@ibm.com
schwenk@kee3b201.af.mil