From: julian.fondren@gmail.com
Subject: gnatpp parameter alignment
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2018 16:34:00 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2018-11-27T16:34:00-08:00	[thread overview]

Hello comp.lang.ada,

I thought I'd always use gnatpp for styling, but I've found this
formatting result that I don't like at all, and which seems to come up
a lot in my code (so often that !pp formatting escapes would be a
pain):

   function waitpid (Pid : Integer; Wstatus : System.Address;
      Options            : Integer) return Integer;

What I'd prefer is that, if parameters take up more than one line,
that they just switch to an entirely vertical formatting, something
like:

   function waitpid (Pid     : Integer;
                     Wstatus : System.Address;
                     Options : Integer) return Integer;

or

  function waitpid
    ( Pid     : Integer;
      Wstatus : System.Address;
      Options : Integer) return Integer;

Many other variations would be acceptable, as long as there aren't
multiple parameters on a line and *also* parameters across multiple
lines, especially with that long-distance horizontal alignment that
makes "Options" look like it's unrelated to the function definition
around it.

I've looked through gnatpp's flags and didn't find anything for
this. I like horizontal alignment in general, and I can deal with most
of the rest of gnatpp's results, so I don't want to turn off huge
swaths of gnatpp formatting. I just want this one case to not visually
suggest that a three-argument function has only two arguments.

Thanks.