From: Gene <gene.ressler@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Happy Birthda Ada Lovelace
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 20:17:23 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2008-12-10T20:17:23-08:00	[thread overview]

On Dec 10, 11:20 am, John McCormick <mccorm...@cs.uni.edu> wrote:
> On December 10, 1815, Anna Isabella (Annabella) Byron, whose husband
> was Lord Byron, gave birth to a daughter, Augusta Ada.  Ada's father
> was a romantic poet whose fame derived not only from his works but
> also from his wild and scandalous behavior.  His marriage to Annabella
> was strained from the beginning, and Annabella left Byron just a
> little more than a month after Ada was born.  By April of that year,
> Annabella and Byron signed separation papers, and Byron left England,
> never to return.
>
> Byron's writings show that he greatly regretted that he was unable to
> see his daughter. In one poem, for example, he wrote of Ada,
>
>         I see thee not.  I hear thee not.
>         But none can be so rapt in thee.
>
> Byron died in Greece at the age of 36, and one of the last things he
> said was,
>
>         Oh my poor dear child! My dear Ada! My God, could I but have
> seen her!
>
> Meanwhile, Annabella, who was eventually to become a baroness in her
> own right, and who was herself educated as both a mathematician and a
> poet, carried on with Ada's upbringing and education.  Annabella gave
> Ada her first instruction in mathematics, but it soon became clear
> that Ada's gift for the subject was such that it required more
> extensive tutoring.  Ada received further training in mathematics from
> Augustus DeMorgan, who is today famous for one of the basic theorems
> of Boolean algebra, which forms the basis for modern computers.  By
> the age of eight, Ada also had demonstrated an interest in mechanical
> devices and was building detailed model boats.
>
> When she was 18, Ada visited the Mechanics Institute to hear Dr.
> Dionysius Lardner's lectures on the "difference engine," a mechanical
> calculating machine being built by Charles Babbage.  She became so
> interested in the device that she arranged to be introduced to
> Babbage.  It was said that, upon seeing Babbage's machine, Ada was the
> only person in the room to understand immediately how it worked and to
> appreciate its significance.
>
> Ada and Babbage became good friends and she worked with him for the
> rest of her life, helping to document his designs, translating
> writings about his work, and developing programs to be used on his
> machines.  Unfortunately, Babbage never completed construction of any
> of his designs.  Even so, today Ada is recognized as being the first
> computer programmer in history. That title, however, does not do full
> justice to her genius.
>
> Around the time that Babbage met Ada, he began the design for an even
> more ambitious machine called the "analytical engine," which we now
> recognize was the first programmable computer.  Ada instantly grasped
> the implications of the device and foresaw its application in ways
> that even Babbage did not imagine.  Ada believed that mathematics
> eventually would develop into a system of symbols that could be used
> [...]

John,

Thanks for this!  I am about mid-way through Toole's "Ada -
Enchantress of Numbers"

http://www.amazon.com/Ada-Enchantress-Numbers-Selection-Description/dp/0912647094

It's fascinating.

More to the point, we're acquiring through commission a lifesize bust
of Ada by Tracy H. Sugg.  See http://tracyhsugg.com/gallery.php for
some of her work.  I'm curious if the readers here know what interest
there might be in editions of the piece if they were available in the
$3500 range (white clay, not bronze as the pictures; bronze jumps the
price to the $8k range).  E.g for university computer science and
upscale industrial spaces.  As best I can tell there exists no similar
item available for sale.

Thanks.