From: john.mccabe@emrad.com.nospam (John McCabe)
Subject: Re: sockets in ADA
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 11:00:01 GMT
Date: 2001-10-17T11:00:01+00:00	[thread overview]

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001 11:58:49 +0200, pfrett <frett@iname.com> wrote:

>F wrote:
>
>> Can someone tell me were can i find documentation about the use of sockets
>> in ada language?
>> I'd like to build a Server program able to comunicate whith different
>> client programs.
>> Thank you
>> Phosphorus
>
>there is an ADAsocket package on linux .. it may also work on windows.
>
>Bye,
>patrice

For a Winsock 2 binding go to:

http://www.adapower.com/reuse/winsock2.html

For BSD Socket bindings (including one for Win32) go to:

http://www.adapower.com/os/bsd-sockets.html

There are some examples here (I think) of using sockets.

Although the basics of using Sockets on BSD and Win32 is pretty much
the same, there are differences which need to be considered if you
want to do anything interesting with them (especially Winsock). For
instance Winsock uses macros FD_SET, FD_CLR, and FD_ZERO, but the
underlying structure is totally different between Winsock and BSD. I
would assume that, as long as you use one of the above bindings, these
differences should be catered for.

You may already know a fair bit about sockets, but if not....

For resources related to Winsock 2, have a look at:

http://www.stardust.com/winsock/index.htm

For more information on BSD sockets, try a book like:

UNIX Network Programming Vol 1: Networking APIs - Sockets and XTI
by W. Richard Stevens. Published by Prentice Hall, ISBN 013490012X

Hope this helps.
John