* Free Online Game project in Ada
@ 2001-10-09 15:15 Christophe
From: Christophe @ 2001-10-09 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I've an idea of a onilne game project in Ada. The game would be a strategic
game (like mankind), I think about creating a game under the GPLlicense. The
game could use MySQL as Database and OpenGL for graphic (library exsit in
ADA).

What do youthink about that ? It could be very good to do such a thing,
first of all to build something on Ada ans also to do it under GPL license.

For the moment it's only en idea but if other people think this could be fun
to do it, why not :-)

Waitting your post...

Christophe.

* Re: Free Online Game project in Ada
@ 2001-10-09 16:15 ` Francisco Javier Loma Daza
From: Francisco Javier Loma Daza @ 2001-10-09 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: comp.lang.ada

On Tue, 9 Oct 2001, Christophe wrote:
> Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 17:15:55 +0200
> To: comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org
> From: "Christophe" <christophe.dubach@epfl.ch>
> Sender: comp.lang.ada-admin@ada.eu.org
> Subject: Free Online Game project in Ada
>
> Hello,
>
> I've an idea of a onilne game project in Ada. The game would be a
> strategic
> game (like mankind), I think about creating a game under the GPLlicense.
> The
> game could use MySQL as Database and OpenGL for graphic (library exsit in
> ADA).

	Yes, it exists, but there is not a standard. In GtkAda there are two
possibilities depending if your system is Win32 or Unix. Why ???

> What do youthink about that ? It could be very good to do such a thing,
> first of all to build something on Ada ans also to do it under GPL
> license.
>
> For the moment it's only en idea but if other people think this could be
> fun
> to do it, why not :-)

	I would like to contribute.

* Re: Free Online Game project in Ada
@ 2001-10-09 17:21   ` chris.danx
From: chris.danx @ 2001-10-09 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Francisco Javier Loma Daza" <Francisco.Loma@isotrol.com> wrote in message

> On Tue, 9 Oct 2001, Christophe wrote:
> > Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 17:15:55 +0200
> > To: comp.lang.ada@ada.eu.org
> > From: "Christophe" <christophe.dubach@epfl.ch>
> > Sender: comp.lang.ada-admin@ada.eu.org
> > Subject: Free Online Game project in Ada
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've an idea of a onilne game project in Ada. The game would be a
> > strategic
> > game (like mankind), I think about creating a game under the GPLlicense.
> > The
> > game could use MySQL as Database and OpenGL for graphic (library exsit
in
> > ADA).
>
> Yes, it exists, but there is not a standard. In GtkAda there are two
> possibilities depending if your system is Win32 or Unix. Why ???

There is a binding that's supposed to come with GLUT, but last time I
downloaded GLUT gl.ads and glu.ads were missing and I had to scout around
for them (If you choose to use them or want to look at them, but can't find
them you can email me and I'll send them to you).

Again, how do you use it?  Can you just add pragma linker_options
("gl32.dll") on windows?

Chris

* Re: Free Online Game project in Ada
@ 2001-10-09 18:08   ` Christophe
From: Christophe @ 2001-10-09 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

The idea would be to create this on Linux, but it will be better to make an
OS-Independant game ...

I know that Glade (which can access to MySQL) and Glut (OpenGL) can run on
windows...

I'll create a website to explain more in details what the project would be,
and also let people telling their opinion...

@ 2001-10-09 18:48     ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2001-10-09 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

"chris.danx" <chris.danx@ntlworld.com> writes:

> There is a binding that's supposed to come with GLUT, but last time I
> downloaded GLUT gl.ads and glu.ads were missing and I had to scout around
> for them (If you choose to use them or want to look at them, but can't find
> them you can email me and I'll send them to you).
>
> Again, how do you use it?  Can you just add pragma linker_options
> ("gl32.dll") on windows?

I have some demos and a working binding on my homepage. Look for OpenGL, GLUT
and GLAUX keywords on this page:

        http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pascal.obry/contrib.html

Pascal.

--|

* Re: Free Online Game project in Ada
@ 2001-10-11 17:41     ` Lorenzo Micheletto
From: Lorenzo Micheletto @ 2001-10-11 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Christophe wrote:

> The idea would be to create this on Linux, but it will be better to make an
> OS-Independant game ...
>
> I know that Glade (which can access to MySQL) and Glut (OpenGL) can run on
> windows...

For the low_level_graphics/audio/game_input check SDL too (www.libSDL.org).
It covers most of the basic needs and has lots of add-on modules.
It is written in C (with some add-ons written in C++) but there is
an Ada binding.
SDL supports accelerated 2D and OpenGL, plus joystick/gamepad/mouse/keyboard
IO routines, audio mixer for sound effects,"portable" timing and threads
and "raw" cd-rom support  (to play audio tracks directly from cdrom)
plus other useful things.

It runs on Windows, Linux, OS/2, Beos and there is a Playstation II port
in progress.

L. Micheletto

* Re: Free Online Game project in Ada
@ 2001-10-11 21:05       ` Preben Randhol
From: Preben Randhol @ 2001-10-11 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001 17:41:11 GMT, Lorenzo Micheletto wrote:
> Christophe wrote:
>>
>> The idea would be to create this on Linux, but it will be better to make an
>> OS-Independant game ...
>>
>> I know that Glade (which can access to MySQL) and Glut (OpenGL) can run on
>> windows...
>
> For the low_level_graphics/audio/game_input check SDL too (www.libSDL.org).

Yes. Looks like more and more projects uses SDL.

Preben Randhol

* Re: Free Online Game project in Ada
@ 2001-10-12  7:53       ` Christophe
From: Christophe @ 2001-10-12  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)