* Newbie problem with GtkAda
@ 2001-06-10 10:25 Dom
From: Dom @ 2001-06-10 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hope there are people around using GtkAda :)

I can get Ada source files that include the Gtk libraries to compile fine
(using jGrasp and GNAT), so my compile paths seem to be fine. However, I
cannot get projects created with Glade to convert into source code using
gate.

I am getting "Couldn't parse
C:/GtkAda/examples/C:\GtkAda<ASCII CHR>xamples\menu.glade" as an error
when trying to use the project file given as an example with GtkAda.

I tried lots of different ways of setting the paths in the project
settings and managed to get rid of the ascii character but not the
problem. If I run gate.bat from the command line, I get:

C:\Ada>gate gladetest.glade
C:\GTKADA\BIN\mkdir: cannot create directory `./': File exists
C:\GTKADA\BIN\mkdir: cannot make directory `.gate/gladetest
src
pixmaps/tmp': No such file or directory
C:/GtkAda/bin/gate.sh: permission denied:
.gate/gladetest\nsrc\npixmaps/tmp/gate
.ada [59]

Maybe I should be able to tell from this what is wrong, but I am having
trouble :(

Any insight would be much appreciated

Yours,

Dominic

* Re: Newbie problem with GtkAda
@ 2001-06-10 11:12 ` David C. Hoos, Sr.
From: David C. Hoos, Sr. @ 2001-06-10 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

I suggest you ask the GTK Ada mail list at gtkada@gtkada.eu.org

The people there are more familiar with GTK Ada than the more
general Ada audience you find here.

@ 2001-06-10 13:29 ` Jeff Creem
From: Jeff Creem @ 2001-06-10 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

I suspect you are running win 98 or ME or something similar. The gate script
does not really work for that OS family. It still works fine
under NT, 2000. The Gtkada site is not always really clear that they
are currently really only supporting the NT family.

Look around for a script I did to replace gate that works under 98. It is an
ugly hack but it does work.

You should be able to find my post from a few months back at
http://gtkada.eu.org/pipermail/gtkada/
(I'd send it to you directly but I did it on my laptop while on travel and I
do not have immediate access to it.)

(The basic problem you are running into appears to be caused by an error
in the way the consumer version of windows handles command line arguments. I
forget the exact problem I found but it is not really caused by a "bug" in
the
Gtkada stuff...Just a missing workaround for a win95/98 problem)

@ 2001-06-10 21:42   ` Dom
From: Dom @ 2001-06-10 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks very much for the info, I grabbed the whole mailing list archive
and found remarkably simple instructions for generating the code manually
:)

gate-in.exe file.glade > all.ada
gnatchop all.ada

Did the trick with all the examples, no doubt I will run into issues at
some point but thats my problem for running a tatty old OS! Win2K or a
Linux partition for the future.

Everything else GtkAda seems to work fine with Win 98 (so far...)

@ 2001-06-11  9:58     ` Jeff Creem
From: Jeff Creem @ 2001-06-11  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Thanks very much for the info, I grabbed the whole mailing list archive
> and found remarkably simple instructions for generating the code manually
> :)
>
> gate-in.exe file.glade > all.ada
> gnatchop all.ada
>
> Did the trick with all the examples, no doubt I will run into issues at
> some point but thats my problem for running a tatty old OS! Win2K or a
> Linux partition for the future.

That does work but if you take that approach you don't get the auto
patch/merge
features of the full glade script (so that as you edit packages to fill in
the callbacks you have
to hand merge in new changes).. While not great it really is not bad but
certainly not as convenient
as having the actual full gate script working.