From: kenner@lab.ultra.nyu.edu (Richard Kenner)
Subject: Re: GNAT for Mac?
Date: 24 Nov 1994 11:35:47 GMT
Date: 1994-11-24T11:35:47+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <3b1gjk$hip@newsbf01.news.aol.com> ronalds60@aol.com (RonaldS60) writes:
>I don't know if FSF still has their "look and feel" boycott in
>place.  If they do and haven't boycotted MicroSoft then they are
>being arbitrary (sounds better than hypocritical) since MS
>"hinted" to the COSE people that any violation of the Windows'
>look and feel (under CDE) would have the MS Legal department
>looking for court dates.

Microsoft may have "hinted", but Apple actually sued.  There's a big
difference between those two actions!

For the record, the boycott was called by the LPF, which is a separate
organization from the FSF; the FSF was merely supporting the boycott.

However, I've been told that the LPF board recently voted to drop the
boycott; I don't know any further details.

The original concern with Apple, of course, was that if "look and
feel" copyrights are valid, then free software is impossible.