From: l107353@cliffy.lfwc.lockheed.com (Garlington KE)
Subject: Re: Ada Motif bindings ?
Date: 23 Nov 1994 13:30:41 GMT
Date: 1994-11-23T13:30:41+00:00	[thread overview]

Ron J Theriault (ron@slx0.NoSubdomain.NoDomain) wrote:
:    Does anyone (other than the developers), have any experience using
: Ada Motif bindings?

As a matter of fact, I'm currently writing a Motif application using the DEC
Motif package on VAX/VMS, using only a Motif textbook written for UNIX.

The Motif package is pretty good; the only thing missing that I've seen is
the XtSetArg function. However, setting the Arg array is pretty easy once
you get the hang of it. Callbacks are a little tricky, since Motif requires
everything to be passed by address (so some type checking is lost). However,
as log as you remember to pass strings aroung as a C_Types.Char_Ptr (C_Types,
along with Motif, are in the ADA$PREDEFINED directory), it's not hard to
work out the interface.

One other thing to remember: I couldn't find any examples in the ADA$EXAMPLES
directory that actually use the Motif package. They all use their own binding
to X and Motif.

Good luck!
:   Ron Theriault
:   CS Department
:   Texas A&M Univ.
:   ron@cs.tamu.edu

Ken Garlington                  GarlingtonKE@lfwc.lockheed.com
F-22 Computer Resources         Lockheed Fort Worth Co.

If LFWC or the F-22 program has any opinions, they aren't telling me.